• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-2180 - Working channels?

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
I am the one that has been programming our Kenwood portable radios for our search and rescue organization and we previously have been using TK-2170 portables and recently acquired a cache of TK-2180s. I have had my own TK-2180, to go with my TK-7180 mobile, for many years but I don't THINK I have come across a feature I was asked about tonight in our communications meeting.
In our meeting tonight, someone mentioned that another SAR organization had the ability to select only a small handful of channels to use. When you cycle around in the tuning knob, it only switches between THOSE channels. For example, on our primary channel bank, we have around 18 channels programmed into the bank with two of them law enforcement channels, an air-to-ground channel, and then we have 12 different repeater channels (different input tones) plus a "direct"/simplex channel (repeater output frequency). Our county is VERY rugged, mountainous terrain, so we have 11 fixed-location repeaters and a portable repeater. All of our repeaters use the same frequency on input and output with just the CTCSS tone being different on the input. Yes, I know we could use an OST function but I think that would make things too complicated for the level of volunteers that we have. On some searches, we tell our searchers that some areas are better covered by "Peak A" but "Peak B" may work too in other areas of the search (these are not what we call them but using letters for illustration) and they may also use the simplex. I was told in our meeting that there is a way that they can lock out all of the other channels except for the ones planned. I was told that you could select through the channels and mark the channel as being locked out or not locked out, and then cycle only through the non-locked-out channels. I had never heard of this capability and I'm looking through the KPG-89D software and help guide and don't know what terminology they would use for this function. If this sounds familiar to anyone, what is it called? If I knew what it was called, I could research it myself.