• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-390 Issue - Green Light

JSnyder83

Hi all, I’m hoping someone with a little more Kenwood knowledge can offer some advice.

I was updating two TK-390’s today (added a few repeaters, turned off the Power On beep, etc - nothing difficult) and after writing the update to one of the radios (the second one), the green LED on top stays lit like it’s receiving a signal. I turn the Squelch off to see if it’s a faint signal but all I’m hearing is the normal static. As I cycle through all of the repeater channels, the green light pops back on and stays on indefinitely on each channel. Additionally, whatever this issue is also caused the squelch to turn off on all of the GMRS simplex channels, but not the FRS channels. I checked the Squelch level on the radio and it wasn’t changed during the update.

When I select a repeater channel and hit the PTT I can hear the squelch tail of the repeater, and I’m still able to hear repeater conversations on the channels, so it doesn’t appear to be affecting the operation of the radio from what I can tell. So I’m wondering if I accidentally “bumped” something in the software between radios, or if it’s a radio-specific issue. The first of the two radios did not experience this same issue, just the second one.

I’ve searched online and on here and haven’t really seen anything about this issue. Appreciate any advice or guidance!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it's just the one radio doing it, it's probably in need of alignment.

These are OLD radios and components drift over time. Probably just need the squelch tweaked, but may need more based on their age.

JSnyder83

If it's just the one radio doing it, it's probably in need of alignment.

These are OLD radios and components drift over time. Probably just need the squelch tweaked, but may need more based on their age.
This thought crossed my mind as well. I’ll tinker with it a bit later tonight or tomorrow and see if I can sort it out. Thanks for the reply!

hill

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the squelch is set lower on this radio. Try bumping it up some.

All kind of local things that can interfere with radio signals.

JSnyder83

Maybe the squelch is set lower on this radio. Try bumping it up some.

All kind of local things that can interfere with radio signals.
The thing that perplexes me is that the radio wasn’t experiencing this issue prior to this most recent earlier today.

I’ll have to mess around with the setting a bit and see what’s going on. Hopefully it’s a simple fix.