• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-5220/5210 Programming Compatibility

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Programming compatibility question. If I get a TK-5220 and the requisite 5220 programming software, can I open a current TK-5210 file and use it to program the 5220? Maybe at least import the personalities or is it a build from scratch type of thing? Thanks

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I don't know that particular radio, but the TK-5210 uses KPG-95 and the TK-5220 uses KPG-112 according to the manuals, so they are unlikely to be compatible. I don't see an export facility in KPG-95, either, though you might have some cut/paste ability within individual dialogs. My guess is you're going to be doing some typing.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I was trying to convince myself I needed a 5220 but realistically with 2-5210s (about an inch taller than a 5220 and I like the more compact radio) a different radio/battery is hard sell. Especially with the wife noticing...lol. All my Kenwood's seem pretty rugged in base/mobile/portable alike. I used my Kenwood base to talk to one of our CAP aircraft about 60 miles away clear as a bell P-25. I was in the aircraft the other day and talking to the ground at 25 miles to an issued Motorola base didn't seem as clear. I'm pretty sure the difference was the antenna. So many underestimate just what a difference a good/balanced antenna can make.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
the software between the 2 models are vastly completely different. I believe the kpg-112 is much easier to use vs the kpg-95.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and ordered a new 5220. I'm justifying it because the screen appears it will be easier than the 5210 for my eyes to read LOL. I saw a screenshot of the 112 software and it appears almost like an excel spreadsheet. If it allows me to copy and pastes, programming should go much easier.

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
I went ahead and ordered a new 5220. I'm justifying it because the screen appears it will be easier than the 5210 for my eyes to read LOL. I saw a screenshot of the 112 software and it appears almost like an excel spreadsheet. If it allows me to copy and pastes, programming should go much easier.
KPG-112 is much easier than 95, but it will not let you cut and paste into the file from Excel, but you can cut and paste within the file. You can do a copy and past into Excel if you copy to clipboard.

Jim

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Programming compatibility question. If I get a TK-5220 and the requisite 5220 programming software, can I open a current TK-5210 file and use it to program the 5220? Maybe at least import the personalities or is it a build from scratch type of thing? Thanks
The biggest PITA with older Kenwood software was 2 fold.

1. No cut and paste between Instances of software. Drove me wild when building 300+ channel codeplugs when I used Kenwood.

2. No import/export.

Before I went with XTS portables I contemplated buying some TK-5x10 gear, but decided to go a different direction.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
KPG-112 is much easier than 95, but it will not let you cut and paste into the file from Excel, but you can cut and paste within the file. You can do a copy and past into Excel if you copy to clipboard.

Jim
Thanks, that alone should make a big difference.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Got my TK-5220 and I've got about 2/3s of the frequencies programmed. Anyone know how to set up a scan list?

I can't seem to find how to set up scanning beyond programming a key to start and stop the scanning.

KF5AIA

Premium Subscriber
Through discovery learning it appears that the default is to scan all channels in whatever zone the radio is set. It also allows setting a priority channel that will always be checked no matter what zone the radio is in.