• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-7180 Encode Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to update a mobile radio with my department's current dispatching tones. When I enter the tone Hz, both tones get changed by the software. Is there a setting/way for me to enter the tones in the software and not have it changed? The first tone is a few numbers lower. The second tone is still lower, but not by that much. The first tone is below the Hz listed as the lower range limit.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Yes, page out tones. They are entered on the 2-tone screen under the encode tab.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Pagers do the same thing. It all has to do with the algorithms in the tone synthesizer vs. the particular tone system being used.

It is possible for you to change the tone system in the radio, say from Motorola to Plectron? That normally brings the tones right on in pager programming.

If not, an approximate 1% variation in the tone frequency should not matter. Program it and test it. You may find that it works just fine. We use a mix of tones from Motorola QC-II and Plectron tone plans. In our Motorola radios, the tones program in correctly regardless of type, but in our pagers, they're off a bit. Everything decodes fine.

N2AL

What are the tones that you are trying to program?

Example being 100.0 hz or 1350 hz.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the file with me but I think it is 281.5 and 485.1. The software bumps it up to 288.5 and 488.5 (or about there...don't remember the decimal). I couldn't find a Motorola/Plectron setting in the radio software.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I don't have the file with me but I think it is 281.5 and 485.1. The software bumps it up to 288.5 and 488.5 (or about there...don't remember the decimal). I couldn't find a Motorola/Plectron setting in the radio software.

I think your problem may be in the other direction...

Where did you get your tone information? The numbers you are trying to enter are not listed on any of my tone plan charts.

The numbers that your software is converting them to seem to be Motorola standard QC-II tones. 288.5 is from Reed Group 3. I think you may have misread or mistyped the 488.5. Take a closer look; it may well be 483.5 which is from Reed Group 1.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
I think your problem may be in the other direction...

Where did you get your tone information? The numbers you are trying to enter are not listed on any of my tone plan charts.

The numbers that your software is converting them to seem to be Motorola standard QC-II tones. 288.5 is from Reed Group 3. I think you may have misread or mistyped the 488.5. Take a closer look; it may well be 483.5 which is from Reed Group 1.
The tones are from.the department. The numbers that they were changed to was from the software. I don't remember the exact numbers thebsodtware changes them to, as I did not have the software open in front of me when I posted.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Most radios and pagers that handle QC tones only go down to 300 HZ. You most likely cannot enter tones into a mobile to page out due to your tones. Been there, done that...

MIKE?

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Ok, Now I know what we are working with....

281.7 426.8 is FIRE

You have somewhat of a coverage area dropping tones from a mobile/portable now with the repeater, but unless they raised the antenna on the tower which was planned, you may still only hit the whole borough... maybe... What is the status of that anyway?

The tones are below standard. They are ZETRON so the plectron, motorola, etc settings usually brings up their brand tones. You either have to select user or custom when programming tones as low as this (if the radio will even accept them). Most pagers (some do not) will take those tones. The vertex portables can be tricked into those tones.

This is why I was trying to swap the the tones during the repeater transition to fix this in the future. The good thing is that there (was/is) a tone encoder at the firehouse in an emergency backup.

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
The new tower is up and running. I was looking for a custom setting in the software, but couldn't find one. I was hoping someone in here might know. I might just program that radio to set off the new tones.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
The new tower is up and running. I was looking for a custom setting in the software, but couldn't find one. I was hoping someone in here might know. I might just program that radio to set off the new tones.

Glad the tower is up. Did it improve coveragw by alot?

Yea, I believe that the radio is just not capable of it.

Theres NEW AND OLD tones? Are you guys using both?

rustyjw

Premium Subscriber
Still using the old ones, but I've programmed all the pagers with the new tones too so that few, if any, would need to be reprogrammed if we switched to the new ones.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Still using the old ones, but I've programmed all the pagers with the new tones too so that few, if any, would need to be reprogrammed if we switched to the new ones.

Ahhh good idea... yea, the new ones are your best bet. The cdms as the base can do the new tones as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.