• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK 890 Troubleshoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Longtime reader, first time poster. I recently acquired a TK-890 w/ a KRK7DB, a KCH11 remote head, and it is configured for ignition sense. Despite the dual band set up, I was able to have it reprogrammed to run as a single band unit and I acquired it from another working environment, so it didn't sit for very long before landing in my grubby little mitts. While installing in my vehicle, I've run into a major issue that I keep hitting dead ends with. At first, when I powered the unit on (using the ignition sense) the display head would light up normally but after leaving the title screen, the external speaker would begin to beep continuously and would only pause for a split second when I changed channels. The display head would appear as it would for any other working unit and there appeared to be no issue with its functionality (cycle through all the channel banks, adjust volume, etc). Additionally, the unit won't transmit or receive on any frequency. I started with the generic first step to any technical problem and powered the unit off and back on again. After doing that a few times I noticed that every 4th or 5th power cycle, the beep would stop and when I pressed PTT the red indicator light would come on but it still won't transmit or receive (this function could not be performed when the unit was beeping). And when I cycled the power again it would go right back to the continuous beep. I double checked the programming (found no issues and had it checked by two different computers), the power/antenna cables, and ensured all the grounding points were solid connections. Thinking maybe there was an issue with the connector pins for the remote head cable, I unplugged that and plugged it back in (on both ends). Now, the display head won't even power on and the continuous beep has ceased but when I press on the power button I'm able to hear the "static pop" from the external speaker, so I assume it's still receiving power to some degree. At this point, I'm thinking its an issue with the remote head cable (which I've already ordered another) but I'm hoping to get some input from the "professionals" out there just in case that fails, too.

For background context, the chassis is located in the rear of the truck with the wires and remote head run up to the front. The power is connected straight to the truck's battery with the ground cable connected to a grounding point that is shared by the truck's emergency lighting. The IGN wire is wired directly to the same relay that the vehicle's AM/FM radio sits on and the antenna is located on the driver's side of the hood with the vehicle's low band antenna, opposite the AM/FM antenna (the truck is running a completely separate low band radio, TK6110). AND I ensured that I had the correct antenna for the frequency range, 450-470 mHz and that's running off an RG8 coax cable.

Now that I've given you my life story, any suggestions y'all have for troubleshooting this thing would be greatly appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You say it has the KRK-7DB, which is for a dual band setup.
If the UHF RF deck was originally part of a dual band setup, and it was in the #2 position, there's some chip resistors that would have been moved around that would probably make it behave oddly if being used as a single band setup.

In other words, programming is only half the battle.

You should probably get yourself the TK-890 service manual and start looking at that.

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to find a PDF of the manual online. When I brought it to our radio tech, he did mention that was a possibility but didn't mention finding any issues with the hardware and from what I'm assuming was able to test it no problem. I'll have to confirm that with him but will definitely add that to the list of possibilities.

Are there any other possible reasons why it might behave this way?

Sorry, I know that's not a specific cause, but with an old radio and not having it sitting here on the bench, it's kind of a crapshoot to guess what the cause is.

Nothing to be sorry for. Any input is appreciated at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.