Kenwood: TM-271a Memory Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if there is anyone else has had a 271 that doesn't want to program memories by software... I had no problems with the radio before it sat unused for about 4 yrs. Recently pulled it out of storage and did a reset on it and tried to program it via software and only part of the channels will show up in the memory, have reset several times and tried making a new file from scratch but still random on what actually gets programmed to it.

hill

Premium Subscriber
How many channels in your programming file. Going from memory I think this radio has 200 memories, but only has 100 if you alpha tag the channels. If you have more than 100 memories with alpha tags it will likely not take those.

bb911

If your partial "show up" of channels is consistent then I have no idea. If 'garbled' I'd suspect the backup battery is near death.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Seeing you reset it prior to reprogramming.

It's always best to read the radio and save the file on your computer before reprogramming it or resetting. Then if a issue can always write it back to the radio.

All radios I reprogram always read and save the files before making changes. Doing this on new and any used commercial radio, plus ham radios and any chicom radios.

In closing with it's replacement TM281 being around $135 to purchase these radios are really throw away radios with the cost of repairs.

Last edited:

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
It will program manually but has started losing alpha tags and some channels just disappear after a few days... when i try to program with the software some of channels just don't transfer, and some that do the alpha tags are scrambled. I'm thinking its probably the EEPROM myself. I did read the original file and saved it, but it won't transfer completely back to the radio either. I've programmed plenty of radios both amateur and commercial and usually can solve my own problems but this thing seems possessed lol.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Update:
I also discovered that when I keyed the mic the radio would go off and reboot, even on low power... so after inspecting all the connections and wiring that one fuse holder had came apart internally and would let the radio power up, but that was about it. After fixing the connection the radio would hold memory just fine...as well as transmit now on high power
I also was able to program with the software but had to slow the data speed on the port way down to get it to completely assign all alpha tags, etc. After running the rig several days now all seems well.

Status
Not open for further replies.