Tom Kneitel, Author, Passes away at 75 years of age

Status
Not open for further replies.

elk2370bruce

In a great many ways, Tom was one of the pioneers of our hobby. He was a true gentleman for all of his career. We are the beneficiaries of his dedication and talent.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Wow, that's another shock. Going to miss Tomcat! I still have several of his articles and the Top secret book that I pull out every now and again.

k2ns

K2aes

Just to let everyone know, Tom was an amateur radio operator just like many of us. His latest call was W4XAA, but the call I knew him by in the past was K2AES. Tom wrote many amateur radio and radio enthusiast articles for many magazines over the years including CQ, 73, and Popular Communications. RIP TOM.

RON

KR4BD

Tom Was An Inspiration to Many of Us

I first became aware of Tom Kneitel in the early-mid 1960's. I was a high school student at the time and enjoyed reading Tom's numerous articles on DXing etc., in the various communication magazines of the day. In 1965, Tom was editor of a magazine called S9. This magazine was primarily aimed at CBers, but often included articles of interest to DXers, etc. Early in 1965, while living in Southern California, I wrote Tom a letter and included an article I had written on AM Broadcast Band DXing. About three months later, I received a short note from Tom with a check for $15 for payment for the article which appeared in the March, 1965 issue of S9. I still have that issue and when I read it today, I get embarrassed because it was really badly written! A couple years later our family was transferred to Northeast Ohio where I discovered TV DX as we had a tremendous outdoor TV antenna on a high tower. So, I decided to send Tom another article and for the May 1967 issue of S9. This time, Tom paid me the princely sum of $20 for another amateurish article entitled "DXing on the Idiot Box".

I am sure that all those early magazines (like Radio-TV Experimenter, Electronics Illustrated, S9, Popular Electronics, etc.) and Tom's many articles cultivated my life-long interest in Communications, Scanning, Ham Radio, etc.

Thank you Tom for everything! We will miss you.

ad5km

Premium Subscriber
Re: Tom, K2AES

Sorry to hear of Tom's passing. I always looked forward to his articles in PopComm.

73 OM de K5BDL!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm Sorry

... I followed him since the 60's when CRB Research in Commack , NY was around and I also published Frequency Guides at that time... things were a lot different then as we used slide dial RS-1's... Tom was right there when the first "scanners" came out and then the first programable's in the 70's... getting the info we needed was not easy and Tom always shared what he had, I always enjoyed reading his stuff and I'm sorry to see him go... Bob Castelli

Hooligan

A post on Larry Van Horn's Blog brings us the sad news of Tom Kneitel's death. Tom was the famous author of The "Top Secret" Registry of U.S. Government Radio Frequencies, which was the bible of federal monitoring.

The book was a compilation of reported freqs and listings from IRAC. Helpful, but not overly accurate, especially in later editions, so to say it was the "bible" is giving him way much more credit than he or it deserved.

He was a longtime radio hobbyist, who published some helpful information, but he was also quite a crank and had no qualms about publishing misinformation, plus editing his own columnists materials to reflect his personal bias (such as all the CRB mentions).

RIP "Alice Brannigan"

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
A true ham radio icon has been lost... Thanks for the memories, thanks for all you did for ALL of radio. Rest in Peace, Tomcat.

w0fg

Ahhh yes, the Fabulous, Incredible Vampire Bat antenna, perfectly flat SWR across the band, 100% FCC approved. Tom was quite a character, as was Wayne Green. The radio world is a little less entertaining without their pot-boilings.

iamhere300

That was the one. Now lets see who else remembers that jewel. People reported great results with that one.

Me, I could never get much range, I must have been doing something wrong!

His books were sold @ one of the local non chain
stores over here in Northeast Ohio which also sold CBs Scanners, etc.
Popular Communications, Top Secret, Etc, all great stuff.

ka5lqj

Ol' "Tomcat".....

I may be wrong (and I am a lot, lately) but I think Tom even wrote for a magazine in the 60's called,
"CB Horizons". It was a radical magazine wanting CB'er's to "March on Washington" to change the
"opressive rules", LOL!

The magazine lasted a year. If the ACBA - American CB Association, could listen to 11 meters now,
ROFL! They got what the wanted......chaos.

Respectfully,
73, I'm 10-8,

Don/KA5LQJ

ex-8Q3234, KKR2747, KOR0528, KAMF7712

SCPD

QRT
I first became aware of Tom Kneitel in the early-mid 1960's. I was a high school student at the time and enjoyed reading Tom's numerous articles on DXing etc., in the various communication magazines of the day. In 1965, Tom was editor of a magazine called S9. This magazine was primarily aimed at CBers, but often included articles of interest to DXers, etc. Early in 1965, while living in Southern California, I wrote Tom a letter and included an article I had written on AM Broadcast Band DXing. About three months later, I received a short note from Tom with a check for $15 for payment for the article which appeared in the March, 1965 issue of S9. I still have that issue and when I read it today, I get embarrassed because it was really badly written! A couple years later our family was transferred to Northeast Ohio where I discovered TV DX as we had a tremendous outdoor TV antenna on a high tower. So, I decided to send Tom another article and for the May 1967 issue of S9. This time, Tom paid me the princely sum of $20 for another amateurish article entitled "DXing on the Idiot Box".

I am sure that all those early magazines (like Radio-TV Experimenter, Electronics Illustrated, S9, Popular Electronics, etc.) and Tom's many articles cultivated my life-long interest in Communications, Scanning, Ham Radio, etc.

Thank you Tom for everything! We will miss you.

The book was a compilation of reported freqs and listings from IRAC. Helpful, but not overly accurate, especially in later editions, so to say it was the "bible" is giving him way much more credit than he or it deserved.

He was a longtime radio hobbyist, who published some helpful information, but he was also quite a crank and had no qualms about publishing misinformation, plus editing his own columnists materials to reflect his personal bias (such as all the CRB mentions).

RIP "Alice Brannigan"

Chillout hooli:p

Status
Not open for further replies.