Tompkins County Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

snplw

I used to be able to hear Tompkins County fire on 46.12. All I am getting now is the tones. I put in the other freqs. listed and I still am not hearing anything. Granted I am using a Pro2020, and another older model programmable that goes up to 512M but I am not hearing anything.

Am I being left out in the cold because of the new technology? I thought I saw this question somewhere else but didn't find it, so sorry if it is repeated.

jlm5561

As for Tompkins County use of 46.12 they no longer use this All Fire and Police, EMS,Airport, and some Highway use new 800 MHZ Motorola Typr ll P-25 Digital 10 Site Simulcast. As for Fire and EMS paging
you find this on 460.275 mhz.

snplw

Thank You, I put that into my mobile unit and it picked up one or two calls this morning while I was plowing. Not real clear and crisp, but it was there. But nothing on by base, that is the Pro-2020. Located in Homer, 46.12 I could hear just fine, is the 460.275 now going to be distance sensitive?

jsikora

The UHF simulcast system for paging is set up to work within county borders. Not sure Homer is going to pick up that well. The closest towers to you are Dryden East or Groton towers. With the way the FCC is clamping down on ERP and other factors most new systems are using directional antenna's to keep the signals in the counties.

Lastly the majority of the county EMS, FIRE and LE have been switched to the P25 system already.

snplw

So my listening on weekends has ended. Does that also mean if I was to purchase a newer scanner that is advertised here, that it would pick it up? Or does the county boundaries inhibit that also. I am probably 12-15 miles from Dryden depending on which hill it is. I don't want to shell out $600 if it isn't going to pick up the 3 counties I need to hear.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
nother thing you can do if you have a 800mhz capable scanner , is see if you can pick up these frequencies.

856.68750c 857.68750c 858.68750c 859.88750c

You should here a rapppppp sound,if you do you're set.

snplw

So if I understand you correctly. If I was to get a Uniden Bearcat BC346XT Scanner, which policescanners.net states will function for Cortland County and it has the 800 Meg band I should be able hear fire control. That is all I really listen to over there, if I can hear fire I can piece together most everything else as far as accidents and such. That one is about a third the cost of the others they say I need. Of course are also assuming I am listening to everything in the county.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
So if I understand you correctly. If I was to get a Uniden Bearcat BC346XT Scanner, which policescanners.net states will function for Cortland County and it has the 800 Meg band I should be able hear fire control. That is all I really listen to over there, if I can hear fire I can piece together most everything else as far as accidents and such. That one is about a third the cost of the others they say I need. Of course are also assuming I am listening to everything in the county.

The BC346XT won't do it, you need the BCD396XT.

MFR465

I apologize in advance if I missed this somewhere already... but does anyone have the NAC for 460.275 yet?

MFR465

No... paging apparently is being done on 460.275 (digital)... so if anyone has the NAC, I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.