Tone generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNY10-75

Database Admin
Related to the 396 thread:
Does anyone know the name of a tone generator in which I could make my department's tones? I currently use NCH, and I can only generate one part of the tone at a time. The tones are 903.2, 855.5. If anyone can tell me how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eli Gill

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Yes - "Audacity":

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There is an option to generate tones, you can even generate one tone, then another.

It's also handy for editing .wav files and playing them. All sorts of goodies.

I suppose if you wanted to test out the tones on your 396 you could set it for your department's tones, generate them in Audacity, then play them though your speakers really loud into an FRS radio. You could have the 396 set to the FRS channel and waiting to decode the tones.

Just brainstorming, maybe it would work. :confused:

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
oregontreehugger said:
I suppose if you wanted to test out the tones on your 396 you could set it for your department's tones, generate them in Audacity, then play them though your speakers really loud into an FRS radio. You could have the 396 set to the FRS channel and waiting to decode the tones.

Just brainstorming, maybe it would work. :confused:

It will work. No need to be too loud, it will eventually distort them too much. I use MURS green dot channel.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
ok so what form are motorola paging tones in? Sine,Square, or Sawtooth? and how do you put two tones back to back to mimick paging tones?

N

N_Jay

jvrs311 said:
ok so what form are motorola paging tones in? Sine,Square, or Sawtooth? and how do you put two tones back to back to mimick paging tones?
Sine

(with extra words added since the answer is too short)

ff619292510

NCH generator

You can do multiple tones with the NCH. I used it to do one at a time by using the windows sound recorder to record each part of the tone. If you're siren tone is a mixed tone, (e.g. 676.4/376.4 1084/426.60) which is my siren tone, it works great for that too.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

ff619292510 said:
You can do multiple tones with the NCH. I used it to do one at a time by using the windows sound recorder to record each part of the tone. If you're siren tone is a mixed tone, (e.g. 676.4/376.4 1084/426.60) which is my siren tone, it works great for that too.

What ever happened to the old Play command from BASIC?

(Did I just say that out loud?)

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Where Can I find tones for my area? ie want we like to do is our own pager test however not all departments in the county want it that way. SO where can I find the tones?

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Decode the tones using your scanner and an audio cable into your computer. Use a program like "Scanrec" and record a days' worth of radio traffic. Open the saved .wav file with a program like "Audacity". Take your audio cable and route it from your line-in port to your headphone port. Now open a program such as "Tuner12" and play the recorded .wav file with the tones. The Tuner12 program will show each tone. Write down tones. Now look up tones on Page 13 (of the Fire Tone-Out Discussion thread) or a similar chart; match them to the closest tone (assuming Quik-Call II is used in your area).

Phew.

That is what I have been doing and although it looks complicated, it's not too bad. So far I've compiled quite a few tones for my area.

Good luck!

Last edited:

drew6553

ok so where can i get the toner 12 program i asked this in another post with no response

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
would you have to set the timing of the tones the same as they are dispatched? or wouldnt it matter how long the tone is?

Al42

jvrs311 said:
would you have to set the timing of the tones the same as they are dispatched? or wouldnt it matter how long the tone is?
With the newer firmware it doesn't matter - you enter the frequencies, not the timing.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
drew6553 said:
ok so where can i get the toner 12 program i asked this in another post with no response
http://www.techmind.org/audio/tuner12.exe

If you go over to the "Official Fire Tone-Out Discussion" thread you'll find a lot of information. Might want to start at the last thread and work back to the first, through. Uniden made some changes in later firmware updates for the fire tone out programming.

Al42

jvrs311 said:
I meant with using audacity
If you're generating tones to test the 396, just put in tones that sound as if they have the right timing. Since the 396 doesn't depend on the timeing, close should work as well as right on.

twolf816

if you havent figured out how yet, i have 14 different tone tests from 14 different fire stations. all in the same format and mimics the actual tones; timing and everything. all that is used is nch and wave pad to edit.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
Ok now question of the day .....how do I make my own online scanner??? LOL this just keeps getting deeper and deeper!

Al42

NCSHP311 said:
Ok now question of the day .....how do I make my own online scanner??? LOL this just keeps getting deeper and deeper!
You mean stream your scanner to the internet?

See the site in my sig? That's all the (free) software you'll need.

The hardware? An audio cable from the earphone jack on the scanner to the line in (or mic in, if you have no line in) jack on your computer sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.