• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tone generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

I have some Minitor V's that I need to test and I don't want to annoy our dispatchers with pager tests. A few years ago I downloaded the free trial ComTekk tone generator software and did it like that, but the free trial does not have that option anymore... Is there any other free software out there that I could use? Thanks

cabletech

Do you or a friend have access to a commerical service monitor? Just about all monitors have the ablity to generated tones for testing.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
The free audio software Audacity has the ability to generate tones. It takes some fiddling, but I did it years ago. It's available for most platforms.

TheManBornWithin

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any portable or mobile radios? All the ones I own have the ability to transmit tones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Two way radios do not have the ablity to transmit paging type tones like what the OP is looking for.

That is about the most incorrect post you have made so far, and that's saying something.

I would say a solid majority of Kenwood, Icom, Motorola and Vertex radios made in the last 15 years support 2-Tone encoding.

fdscan

Yup. My radio was in production from... Like 1995-2005 maybe and it supports tone encoding.

Audacity would be your best bet, but as far as playing them over the air, that's a different story.

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Don't the Minitor's use tones that are near a second long for each tone?
I was not aware that any of the portables could encode a signaling tone of that length before sending the next tone.

I'll admit that I don't know the tone specs on the Minitor's but I would think each tone must be active for a specific amount of time before it is considered valid.

I've played with the various tone settings on some of my Motorola portables in the past but can't recall being able to generate a tone for more than a few milliseconds for each tone. They sure sounded way too fast (short) to trip a Minitor but maybe I'm wrong. Interesting if the portables or mobiles really can be setup to trip a Minitor!

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Don't the Minitor's use tones that are near a second long for each tone?
I was not aware that any of the portables could encode a signaling tone of that length before sending the next tone.

I'll admit that I don't know the tone specs on the Minitor's but I would think each tone must be active for a specific amount of time before it is considered valid.

I've played with the various tone settings on some of my Motorola portables in the past but can't recall being able to generate a tone for more than a few milliseconds for each tone. They sure sounded way too fast (short) to trip a Minitor but maybe I'm wrong. Interesting if the portables or mobiles really can be setup to trip a Minitor!

Standard timing for Quick Call II is 1 second / 3 seconds, and 8 seconds for long (group) tones. This is the default encode settings for most radios, and it isn't even adjustable on some Motorola radios (e.g. the Commercial Series).

Not sure why you were unable to get your radios to work correctly. Maybe you were using using the old "tone burst" or single tone format, which was once used for repeater access?

kruser

Well Known Member
Premium Subscriber
Standard timing for Quick Call II is 1 second / 3 seconds, and 8 seconds for long (group) tones. This is the default encode settings for most radios, and it isn't even adjustable on some Motorola radios (e.g. the Commercial Series).

Not sure why you were unable to get your radios to work correctly. Maybe you were using using the old "tone burst" or single tone format, which was once used for repeater access?

Thanks for that info.
I'm sure I was messing with something other than two tone. I'll have to look at this again as it has been some time since messing with the signaling formats available.

fdscan

Yeah I mean that's the easiest way, but couldn't the tone be slightly affected by that? Not sure if the Minitor's that picky/precise.

nick1427d

At my FD we were constantly getting new pagers, swapping out old for new, new frequencies, changing PL tones etc. I used comtekk two tone generator for all the testing.

With comtekk I'd set up my tones, key up the mic (portable, base, mobile, doesn't matter) and hold it next to computer speaker. Worked everytime.

I used a low power portable as well so I wouldn't bother the whole county/dispatcher with tones all day just to make sure a few Minitors worked.

When the trial was up and we were done switching frequencies and what not, we programmed our HT1250s to encode and just used those to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.