Tornado down in Freeman Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Tornado touchdown in parking lot of shopping center in City of Colonial Heights. Many injuries reported. Massive fire & EMS mutual aid into the City, including Tri-Cities departments, Chesterfield, Henrico, and Powhatan Counties.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Our emergency people are very busy in Suffolk also. Police have a command center at Obici hospital and FD are up to Fireground 4

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
The Colonial Heights incident was handled very well on the radio all things considered. Interops was great. There was a small tornado (or big down draft) in Hopewell that passed right by me. It was on the exciting side to say the least. It was pouring down rain then all the sudden the the wind picked up like crazy and it was swirling around. Threw sticks and everything around and was opening the door to the bowling alley (had to grab it and lock it so it wouldn't rip it off).

LEH

Premium Subscriber
VSP is closing all four ramps on US 58 and route 10 in Suffolk.

I'm too far away (or I'm having a cable problem [most likely]) to get the southside systems. But I think I'll stay in tonight and listen to a scanner or two (or three or five or so).

I'm dedicating on scanner to VSP and they are active on both the old system and STARS. I haven't seen any new TG's popup, but one never knows.

This might be a good time to check out the STARS emergency services groups.

Edit: Is anyone getting a hang up on STARS TGID 49 (peninsula dispatch)? I've been getting an intermittent one on both the 396 and 500 for the past thirty or so minutes.

Edit 2: Just heard a transmission on the Emergency Management TGID 2407. Saying they are terminating radio use and going to Nextel. :( Doesn't say much for the STARS system does it.

Last edited:

rfburns

Pretty interesting watching the tornados/rotation on Wakefield radar this afternoon from around 3:15 to 5:00. They went pretty much in a straight line. It was easy to tell what county would be next to get a tornado warning issued for it.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
My SAME weather radio had a period of about ten minutes when it had four or five back to back warnings just for the three codes I have loaded in.

Storms went to the north (up towards Williamsburg) and south (through Newport News and Hampton) of me.

Glad there were no fatalities (despite the report of 1 earlier yesterday evening).

Fmon was right near the worst of it. Hope he's okay as I don't see him on line or a recent post.

hoser147

What a mess, Mother nature slammed down, the news is reporting 200 people injured. Hopefully no fatalities. Alot of good video footage on the storm. Sounds like there is alot of radio traffic on this. All of those effected are in my prayers. Hoser

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Chris, KQ4Z lives within a mile of the Driver damage.

We for sure had a closet next to chimney ready to use. The nearest of 4 tornadoes hit Driver which is about 6 miles from us. Fire teams were helping until late last night from Hampton, I of W, Chesapeake and Southampton and maybe Franklin. Portsmouth was busy with their own damage.

We had planned our bi-monthly recycle trip to Driver yesterday afternoon but pending weather problems postponed that to this afternoon.

rcvmo

What a wild storm it was down here in N. Fla. Wish we could get some rain like that in Mi.
Dumped 2 " near my relatives house in jax. Hey, good luck and all the best to you in Va.
rcvmo

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I drove to Colonial Heights today and the only area that really looks worse for the wear is where Target and everything is. The big sign that is on the road is tore up a little, and in the middle of the shopping center where dress barn and everything was is taped off (thats where it blew a section of roof off). All in all it could have been a lot worse there. Yesterday I forgot my 500 at home (me = big dummy :lol:) but the trusty 96 came through when I needed it. As I said before the interops seemed to work really well. I know a few people that were in the area when it hit. One of my best friends was in Books A Million and said the whole building shook and the lights flickered. For about 10 minutes a really loud electronic siren in Ft. Lee was doing a Hi-Lo. I don't ever wish for something like this to happen but it definantly makes for some intersting scanner listning.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Frank,

Glad you made it through okay.

You can add to the list of mutual aid units, York County's rescue unit. They kept asking for directions on the way over there.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
pogbobo said:
just saw all the damage on the nightly news ... they reported that the NWS confirmed a total of 7 tornadoes touched down in VA ... even one closer to my area, in Halifax ... I hope you guys up/over there are fairing ok, let us know if yall need anything :)

http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/state_regional/article/severe_storms_hurts_hundreds_causes_widespread_damage/10038/

Make that 8 tornados now. They are now calling the Glouster and Matthews County twisters seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.