Toronto Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiVolt

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
270
Reaction score
109
Location
Toronto, Canada
Ok, thanks, i was wondering if I should get a new one, and was looking at the mid range ones...

I just dont like the programming on the high end ones.

I'll see how it plays out.
 

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Moderator
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
9,100
Reaction score
2,694
Location
I'm here a lot
Both scanners in my signature handle simulcast and Phase II on Metrolinx- GO Transit decently.

Can't really comment on Toronto Public Safety yet, but when they go Phase II, I'll be ready.
 

HiVolt

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
270
Reaction score
109
Location
Toronto, Canada
I'm finding some real weirdness listening to TFS both on analog & digital on different scanners

Some transmissions are coming over analog only, some only on digital, and some on both... weird, but i guess they are transitioning...

In fact, I can't hear anything from the south or north towers on P25... If i put my scanner on hold on a tg when its on south or north tower, it says finding ctrl channel.

signal appears good on both towers.

maybe they are changing the control channels?
 
Last edited:

TheWarlock

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2014
Messages
197
Reaction score
1
Location
Mississauga Ontario
I'm finding some real weirdness listening to TFS both on analog & digital on different scanners

Some transmissions are coming over analog only, some only on digital, and some on both... weird, but i guess they are transitioning...

In fact, I can't hear anything from the south or north towers on P25... If i put my scanner on hold on a tg when its on south or north tower, it says finding ctrl channel.

signal appears good on both towers.

maybe they are changing the control channels?


Just a though here but shouldn't it always go over both analog and digital during this transition. What happens if they're out a fire and one station's trucks is on analog the other apparatus has digital radios. That doesn't sound very safe it the crews can't talk to all other apparatus on scene.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

HiVolt

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
270
Reaction score
109
Location
Toronto, Canada
and its weird, about half hour later, i can receive on south and north towers...

maybe it was some kind of interference.
 

HiVolt

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
270
Reaction score
109
Location
Toronto, Canada
It appears my portable 396XT "locks" in better/faster than the base 996XT.

Today I was comparing, both scanners on HOLD on East Tower, East Tac 3 on a fire call, the portable 396XT with a stubby antenna and the 996XT with a much larger antenna (both reading full signal, but it doesnt matter because they get full signal even without any antenna plugged in on the east tower), and the 396XT was locking into the transmissions almost instantly, while the 996XT was flickering between LNK/DAT, before sometimes locking into P25 mode 3-5 seconds later, or not at all on a given transmission. doesnt matter if it was dispatch or the firemen on scene.

It's the exact same programming file uploaded to both scanners via Freescan.

I have firmware 396XT is 1.10.00, and on the 996XT 1.07.03
 

underlift

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2005
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
TFS must be dispatching in a different manor, I can no longer hear anything on the main South Dispatch or any other dispatch channels. I can hear North Ops but the original call is no longer available the hear on this 700mhz p25 system. Does anyone know if there's a way of hearing them???
 

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
14,325
Reaction score
8,341
Location
Oot and Aboot
I think this was discussed in another thread. They've moved over to a wireline based system and I think the only way to follow the dispatches is to watch the webpage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top