• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Toronto Hydro ID Scan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helion

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
Hi. I just got the BC246T scanner and have purchased the full version
of the ARC246 software. Using the software I set up the Toronto
Hydro System on my Radio. When I start scanning this system
it just keeps scrolling "ID Search" across the screen.
Now, I am wondering, is the database I got from this site incorrect
or am I doing somthing wrong?
I allready set up the "Toronto Public Service" system, and it works fine.
Can anyone help?
 

pathalogical

Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
5
Location
Toronto, Canada
I have no problem with Hydro/Public Works. I also use ID SEARCH and ID's show up when they are in use. Your thread title indicates ID SCAN, did you program all ID's into a Group ? In ID SEARCH mode, any ID in that system will show up when active. In ID SCAN mode, you must program some or all the ID's into a group that you want to listen to. Example, you can put all Hydro ID's in Group 1 and Works in Group 2. Hope this helps.
 

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
14,326
Reaction score
8,343
Location
Oot and Aboot
Perhaps the mod can move this to the Eastern Canada forum?

There's quite a few people there who can probably walk you through the setup.

For starters, check the programming of the system manually.

Make sure you've got the control channels and you're hearing activity on them.
 

Helion

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
Mike_Oxlong said:
Perhaps the mod can move this to the Eastern Canada forum?

There's quite a few people there who can probably walk you through the setup.

For starters, check the programming of the system manually.

Make sure you've got the control channels and you're hearing activity on them.


All the data is from this site. Since the Toronto Public Service stuff programmed in fine using
ARC246, this should work too. But it isn't. Could it be that I am not getting a signal from them?
I'll keep working on it. It'll take some time to get used to the new scanner.
 

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
14,326
Reaction score
8,343
Location
Oot and Aboot
It doesn't mean that there's not a mistake with the data or something glitched when it was being programmed. By going through things manually, you will understand how your scanner works and you'll be able to spot any future mistakes quicker.

The Toronto Public Service System is listened to by many and chances are a mistake would have been quickly spotted.

Since the Hydro system is less likely to be listened to, a mistake could easily be missed.

As I said before, check your control channels and see if you hear anything on them. You can manually step to them or just program them in as conventional channels and see what you hear.
 

pathalogical

Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
5
Location
Toronto, Canada
I just double checked the RR database for Hydro with my printout of the system and there seem to be no changes to the site. Not likely that there are any mistakes on the database. The Last Update is still the same: 11-11-2004 11:41. Since it is a shared system with public works, I've noticed that public works is much more active than Hydro. Are you getting any communications on Pub Works ? Most likely there is a simple mistake in the way the system was entered into your 246. Try checking for anything that's locked-out, or maybe Control Channel only (should be off). I have programed my 246 by hand, I do not have any software to use, perhaps you may have experienced a communication error from your computer to your scanner. I don't know how the software works but, are you able to post a screenshot of the system ? Maybe someone can "see" what the problem is. In any case, it sounds like it is a simple thing that has been overlooked, keep double checking everything.
 

Helion

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
It seems to be working now. The Toronto Hydro System is just very quiet. When I listen to it for some time, I hear some activity. How much activity do you get? I am in the Lakeshore/Royal York area of Toronto.

. . .
 

pathalogical

Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
1,305
Reaction score
5
Location
Toronto, Canada
Helion said:
It seems to be working now. The Toronto Hydro System is just very quiet. When I listen to it for some time, I hear some activity. How much activity do you get? I am in the Lakeshore/Royal York area of Toronto.

. . .
Glad it's working. I get very clear transmission from Hyd/Pub Works. Hydro is less active than I thought it would be...maybe we need another blackout or strong winds. Works is especially active when there is snow on the ground. I'm in the Wilson & Weston area. My only complaint is that the East site of pol/fire/ems is quite static. Very annoying to listen to when it pops up with an ID. Is your 246 your first venture into the world of scanning ?
 

Helion

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Canada
pathalogical said:
Glad it's working. I get very clear transmission from Hyd/Pub Works. Hydro is less active than I thought it would be...maybe we need another blackout or strong winds. Works is especially active when there is snow on the ground. I'm in the Wilson & Weston area. My only complaint is that the East site of pol/fire/ems is quite static. Very annoying to listen to when it pops up with an ID. Is your 246 your first venture into the world of scanning ?

I have used scanners before. I used to have a Realistic Pro-25
(the newer version with the two large buttons). Then some time later
I bought the BC245XLT Trunker II. Unfourtunatly both got stolen when a burglar broke into my appartment. Some damn crackhead
needed money for a fix no doubt. At least that's what the police figured out. Well, that was nearly two years ago. Now I finally decided that it was time to get a new scanner. So I got an other Bearcat, the BC246T III. I got it on Ebay.ca for about $273 CDN.
So far I think it is a great radio. It'll take some time to learn all the
ins and outs of programming it.

Happy Scanning!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top