tower with lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicko5

I live by metro airport . How high can I put up antenna tower. Before I have to put red warning lights on it. So I can get the best reception possible. What antenna is a good one to buy.

Thanks
Dan

Permits, permits, permits and money; then you buy your tower and antenna, then inspections and more money.

hydrolocked

and even if you put a light or red/white paint on as a joke, no matter how short the tower, better do it to the letter of the law, or you CAN be fined if some inspector takes a dislike to it.... :)

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Well you have to do a couple of things:

1) Contact the FAA to find out how high you can go(you have to match the glide scope)

2) If your a Amateur Radio Operator then legal height is 200'. However with that being said and if you are close to the airport you will be restricted on how high you can go. In Ham Radio, a RED light is not needed until 90' and then it is every so many feet there after.

If your going to just put up a 30-40 foot tower, you probably could just get away with putting it up. Anything over 65 feet and your going to have to contact the FAA

Hope that helps

trooperdude

Database Admin
rfradioconsult said:
Permits, permits, permits and money; then you buy your tower and antenna, then inspections and more money.

Depends on your area I suppose.

In mine you just have to follow manufacturer mounting specifications.

No permits, no inspections if it's under 100 feet.

trooperdude said:
Depends on your area I suppose.

In mine you just have to follow manufacturer mounting specifications.

No permits, no inspections if it's under 100 feet.

It depends on your local ordances; there is no nation-wide local standard for towers. Step one is checking with your homeowners association, then the local planning authority for a building permit, then on to the FAA requirements. Lots of dollars all along the way.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
rfradioconsult said:
It depends on your local ordances; there is no nation-wide local standard for towers.
True enough...

Step one is checking with your homeowners association,
Oh, heck no! I made darn sure there were no HOAs when I moved in!

then the local planning authority for a building permit,
Or you move into an area that doesn't have any restrictions that will affect what you want to do. In my case, a perusal of the city's ordinances indicate for amateur use (hey, if you want to be crass about it - the ham license is $15 and a little effort to take a test) I don't even have to get a permit. I may choose to do so anyway, just in case a neighbor raises a stink so I'm covered that much more, but it's not terribly expensive here.

A friend specifically went community-shopping because he wanted 150-200 foot towers. And found one that not only said "do whatever you want", they hired him as mayor too! :p

then on to the FAA requirements.
*ONLY* if you intend to put up a very tall tower, or are very close to an airport. I'm virtually in line with the runway of an airport, and a bit over 2 miles away. At that distance, no extreme tower restrictions. I might not be able to go the "normal" full height (I don't remember, as I never intended to try for a 200 foot tower!) but my 60 foot plans are just fine.

Lots of dollars all along the way.
Not necessarily - and generally only if you picked a particularly poor location for your house. Granted, there *are* areas of the country where you're virtually guaranteed a whole barrel of fun in erecting *any* tower, but it's certainly not a guarantee to cost an arm and a leg.

Tishers

Actually, lighting and painting requirements may include much shorter structures. Depending upon your proximity to airport approach paths. The best way to make this determination is to use the FAA TOWAIR site to punch in your coordinates, heights, etc... and it will tell you if there is a lighting or painting requirement.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp

This is painless and quick to do.

n8emr

rfradioconsult said:

Permits for what? To dig a hole? Not around here.
Permits for what? to erect a non livable structure, Not around here.

NO permits, no inspections. Plus the only inspector for the county is a ham will most
likely be helping put up the tower anyway.

Money, yea, you need that for the tower and a little extra for the steaks and bbq chicken
to pay back the help.

n8emr

sicko5 said:
I live by metro airport . How high can I put up antenna tower. Before I have to put red warning lights on it. So I can get the best reception possible. What antenna is a good one to buy.
Thanks
Dan

Around here you just call the 3 guys who use the airport and tell them dont hit my tower -:) There mainly crop dusters and fly low enough my mobile antenna might get hit.

The OP asked a legitimate question; upon closer research he lives in a suburb of Detroit and the airport he is referring to is the main Detroit airport. He is looking for some help with his question.

n8emr

rfradioconsult said:
The OP asked a legitimate question; upon closer research he lives in a suburb of Detroit and the airport he is referring to is the main Detroit airport. He is looking for some help with his question.
The very first reply gave him all the info he needed. Check the FCC.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
n8emr said:

NO permits, no inspections. Plus the only inspector for the county is a ham will most

Money, yea, you need that for the tower and a little extra for the steaks and bbq chicken
to pay back the help.

Must be nice. :roll:

Does the OP live "around here"?

gcgrotz

n8emr said:

to pay back the help.

Must be nice! Around here, you can't even cut down a dead tree without permission.

Your BBQ chicken got me thinking, 2 hours til lunch. THANKS A LOT!

SLWilson

When you say...

sicko5 said:

Thanks
Dan
Just HOW CLOSE are you to this Metro Airport? Like, a stones throw, a block, a mile?

Most of the posters gave great advice. Check the FCC/FAA rules. Fines & such can be AWFUL if you do something & piss them off!!!

Steve/KB8FAR :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.