Tradeoffs between Trunk-Recorder and SDR-Trunk

C_615

Premium Subscriber
I have been using SDR-Trunk for the majority of the systems that I am monitoring and then feeding into Rdio-Scanner. For one system, I have to use Trunk-Recorder because its handling of simulcast is far superior— at least on this particular system. The audio quality is slightly better on Trunk-Recorder and I would use it for all of the P25 except that the delay is 10-12 seconds vs SDR-Trunk’s 2-3 seconds compared to the same transmission via an SDS-100. Both setups are streamed to Rdio, so it’s not a dirwatch issue.

Is there a way to get the same simulcast performance from SDR-Trunk or a way to decrease the delay in Trunk-Recorder?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
SDR Trunk works well with the six simulcast systems that I monitor. Can you elaborate on the specific handling issue that you are having with the problem simulcast system?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Trunk Recorder isn't capable of real time playback. It has to wait for the audio file to be created before it imports and plays it.

C_615

Premium Subscriber
SDR Trunk works well with the six simulcast systems that I monitor. Can you elaborate on the specific handling issue that you are having with the problem simulcast system?
Typical simulcast distortion. Not as bad as a 396xt, but not as good as a 436hp. Trunk-Recorder is better than the SDS100.

C_615

Premium Subscriber
Trunk Recorder isn't capable of real time playback. It has to wait for the audio file to be created before it imports and plays it.
Then what is the purpose of the streaming API with Rdio-Scanner?

tadsmith

Premium Subscriber
Neither Rdio-Scanner nor Trunking Recorder (which I assume Hazrat8990 is referring to) have live playback. Both need to wait for the transmission to complete and be uploaded before they can play back. However, if you're referring to the difference between trunk-recorder (a different application) and SDRTrunk, the difference is that trunk-recorder will combine multiple transmissions into more of natural conversation before uploading and SDRTrunk will upload each transmission individually. That's likely what is contributing to your delay.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Typical simulcast distortion. Not as bad as a 396xt, but not as good as a 436hp. Trunk-Recorder is better than the SDS100.
Yea, I don't have that issue with any of the simulcast systems that I monitor with SDR Trunk. Can you tell us the specific system / site that is presenting with the issue?

C_615

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I don't have that issue with any of the simulcast systems that I monitor with SDR Trunk. Can you tell us the specific system / site that is presenting with the issue?
I don’t cite specific systems publicly, but it does have 15 towers and I’m in the middle of all of them.

C_615

Premium Subscriber
Neither Rdio-Scanner nor Trunking Recorder (which I assume Hazrat8990 is referring to) have live playback. Both need to wait for the transmission to complete and be uploaded before they can play back. However, if you're referring to the difference between trunk-recorder (a different application) and SDRTrunk, the difference is that trunk-recorder will combine multiple transmissions into more of natural conversation before uploading and SDRTrunk will upload each transmission individually. That's likely what is contributing to your delay.
Thats the answer. I never realized that it was combining multiple transmissions. 10-12 seconds delay is acceptable 99% of the time.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
OK, barring any system weirdness, it's probably unique to your listening environment, antenna system, and / or configuration. Good luck.