Train Car Quality tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2JDS

I'm not a RailRoad type person, but thought some of you may enjoy this info, or you may already know all about it.
The device pictured is made by “RF Trax”. It is a battery and solar powered telemetry unit that senses impacts and then transmits impact intensity, time, date, and location data, to programmed contacts. These attach to rail cars with magnetic mounts. Please see the photo of one mounted near the B-deck (top deck) of a bi-level shipment of autos.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Thanks for the info. I've seen those occasionally and wondered what they were. Now I know.

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
WOW, It appears that everything that moves is trackable nowadays, do you know if the "RF-Trax" signals are transmitted to the railroads private security guards or are they directly transmitted to certified law enforcement communications facilities for law enforcement action then relayed to the private railroad security guards to advise them of the radio alarm? Also would you happen to know the communications channel of RF-Trax radio transmitters? Thanks.

Manny

ffemt601

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RFTrax is a wholly owned subsidiary[1] of IONX, an Amsted Rail Company, specializing in mobile asset management. RFTrax is headquartered with its parent in Sugar Land, TX outside of Houston. The company is a leading supplier of telemetry asset tracking and protection technologies to the rail industry[2] designing and manufacturing their products in Houston. Their Asset Management Platform[3] [4] or "AMP" provides owners and operators real time data regarding the location, speed, and direction of rail cars using GPS data communicated via the GSM cellular system. Optionally, accelerometer equipped units report high impact events protecting valuable and hazardous rail cargo. Special locomotive units report vital operating characteristics improving efficiency and safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.