Traveling with scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfmargetis

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. Has anyone encountered any problems with having a scanner in your carry-on luggage while flying domesticly? Does TSA want to examine it or anything?

Thanks
-Mike M.

SAR923

Nope, never had a problem. Also never had a problem with my Palm. I've never been asked to turn either of them on and have always been waved right through. A scanner or Palm would sure look suspicious to me with all the circuits and wires if I was look at the x-ray but I guess not. Don't take more than one ounce of anything liquid though - they catch that and make you toss it out. That hair shampoo is really dangerous stuff. Dumb!

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've traveled with scanners for over twenty years and only had one problem with security in that time.

Anymore, I typically wear a vest (lots of pockets) that I keep the two scanners I travel with in. Take the vest off and run it through the xray. I've had more problems with extra batteries than the electronics.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When I've taken scanners on commercial flights; I have always packed them in my carry on. BUT, I always remove the batteries and antenna, and don't keep them in the same vicinity. That way if they want to power on the scanner, it won't.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
Nope, never had a problem. Also never had a problem with my Palm. I've never been asked to turn either of them on and have always been waved right through. A scanner or Palm would sure look suspicious to me with all the circuits and wires if I was look at the x-ray but I guess not. Don't take more than one ounce of anything liquid though - they catch that and make you toss it out. That hair shampoo is really dangerous stuff. Dumb!

You can throw Denorex at the flight crew and incapacitate them, works better than mace. But well, we're dealing with the Dept. of Homeland Insecurity.

gcgrotz

I had a problem last month because they saw the detached antenna of my HT on the x-ray and were concerned about the "spikey thing". Once they dug through the bag and found it they were ok with it. I've travelled many times with radios, gps, cameras both in and out of the country with no problem.

BTW, I found out this year there are new rules concerning Lithium batteries in your luggage so check the TSA web site for the latest. Some handhelds and cellphones and cameras use them.

nitroboie

I took two flights last week, not a problem. Had my Pro-97 (800mhz detached) and SC230 (stubby) in my carry on bag. I put them on the top of my clothes just in case they wanted me to turn them on.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
I fly a few times a year with my laptop,cellphone and my 97 or 96 as back up scanners to my PSR-500 antennas attached and battery's installed never had a issue. and I have turned them on in flight to. and did not hear a thing.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I've taken a scanner into my luggage
the only thing they did was check it
When I got the luggage, there was the sticker that TSA opened it

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I've flown with a scanner on my carry-on several times. Never had a question about it. Even when they said my friend had "explosives" in his bowling balls a couple of weeks ago. I have always listened in airports too and never had anyone question (with earbuds or headphones but the scanner is in the open on my hip).

Austin4Wyo

I've flown with a scanner on my carry-on several times. Never had a question about it. Even when they said my friend had "explosives" in his bowling balls a couple of weeks ago. I have always listened in airports too and never had anyone question (with earbuds or headphones but the scanner is in the open on my hip).

Explosives in the bowling ball? Have they been watching too many Looney Tunes episodes? Or perhaps the 1960s era Batman movie?

Batman%20Bomb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoUpF7rvfnk

Status
Not open for further replies.