Trip to Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello. I have a few questions I am hoping anyone on here can answer for me.

I might be planning a trip to Florida maybe in the next few months.

This will be my second time to Florida in a very long time. And my first time to bring a scanner with me.
I will be bringing my PRO 96 with me.

I am just wondering what the laws are in Florida for having a scanner with you in your vehicle either on you or in your bag.

Also since this is my first time with a scanner to Florida. I am just wondering what good stuff there is to listen to like on VHF, TRUNKING or whatever else. So in the mean time if and when we go, I can set up some files in my PRO 96. So I will have it all set up to go and listen to if and when we go to Florida.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
Florida State Statue 843.165 scanner law

This will be my second time to Florida in a very long time. And my first time to bring a scanner with me.

I am just wondering what the laws are in Florida for having a scanner with you in your vehicle either on you or in your bag.

Also since this is my first time with a scanner to Florida. I am just wondering what good stuff there is to listen to like on VHF, TRUNKING or whatever else. So in the mean time if and when we go, I can set up some files in my PRO 96. So I will have it all set up to go and listen to if and when we go to Florida.

Thanks.

You want to look up under Florida state statue 843.165 for scanner laws in Florida

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Specific answers depend on your destination. See the sticky, as aforementioned, for answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Likely, if you are using the scanner in a vehicle, while it is in motion, and are not exempt then it is illegal. However, it is not a probable-cause event, meaning the police won't pull you over for it alone. Unless you plan to drive the entire state, reserve your scanning when in the hotel.

Post your general travel plans and members here can offer up .p96 files. I travel in the northern third of the state and have a few .p96 to share.

Don't forget to scan for federal and military agencies while in the Sunshine state....

Jay

SCPD

QRT
Ok. We will probably be going to as far as Orlando to Disney World and places around there.

Yah I was probably going to leave it in my bag until we got to the hotel. Then I will have the whole time while I am there in Florida to listen to it and see what I can hear.

We will be taking I-75 from the Alabama/Florida border all the way to Orlando and places around there.

So if anyone on here has current .p96 files they can share with me to get me started with what to scan and all that. I would appreciate it. So I can load those files into my PRO 96 and add other stuff I find and come across from there.

Yup I will scan what ever I can and what is worth while to listen to while I am in Florida.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks again everyone.

SCPD

QRT
I am just seeing if there is anyone out there that has a .p96 file I can use for if and when we go to Florida in the next couple months. If anyone does. I would appreciate it. So it can get me started as to what to listen to when I am there.

Also if anyone can tell me what good stuff there is to listen to in Florida. Like on VHF, TRUNKING and if they still use LOW BAND as well.

So I will still be waiting for any replies to this post and the other one I posted before this one.

Thanks.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
This file covers the northern portion of Florida, including Columbia, Suwannee, Hamilton, Alachua, and Marion counties. Rename the ".txt" to ".p96" and load into WIN96.

It's not perfect, as I don't have all of the tones mapped for every agency and frequency listed.

Attachments

• nFLORIDA.txt
    33.9 KB · Views: 134

SCPD

QRT
Ok I got that thanks. So would this cover the Orlando and Miami areas as well or probably not. Because I don't know any of the places in or around Florida other than the main big places.

Also do they still use LOW BAND for anything still or probably not.

Also what I found out is that we will be probably staying in Orlando but going to Miami as well. So wondering what other things or what good things there are to listen to in these areas. Like in: VHF, (LOW BAND IF THEY STILL USE IT), Trunking, etc. If anyone else has any other .p96 files for these areas they can share with me. I would appreciate it. Or just post on here the things to listen to and maybe the freq's as well, with the CTCSS or DCS tones for the channels.

Thanks again.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
1. My p96 file only covers northern Florida - not Orlando or Miami. Others will have to help you with that.

2. Very few agencies in Florida use low-band VHF (e.g., 40+/- MHz). I cannot think of one that does, except the state parks (which may have swapped to another band plan).

3. In Orlando, there is plenty to listen to. That is Orange County, Florida. See this database post about their P25 Trunked Radio System: Greater Orlando Public Safety Cooperative System Trunking System, Orlando, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

SCPD

QRT
Ok. It looks like the only things to listen to from that Trunking System is Fire and AIR. But will give it a try.

And if there is anyone else on here who maybe has a .p96 file I can use for around Miami and Orlando when I am there I would appreciate it. Also if anyone else on here knows of any other good frequencies to listen to around Florida like Orlando and Miami (Police, Fire, EMS, and anything else that is good and worth while to listen to) and the CTCSS/DCS Tones they use. So I can get some files set up and have them ready to go for when we go and get there.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks again

ermin

Thanks.

Here is a current .p96 file for Palm Beach County (includes Broward County on bank 6). Rename the file extension to .p96 and it will work with Win-96.

Ermin

Attachments

• PBC-BC1_20_2012.txt
    33.9 KB · Views: 108

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for that file. I will try this one when I am there or when I am around the area.

If there is anyone else on here who wants to help me out with either sending me other .p96 files for places around Orlando and Miami. I would appreciate it or if just want to post the freq's with the CTCSS/DCS Tones on here, that would work as well. Just want to make sure I will have most of the things to listen to while I am there.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.