• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trouble hearing repeater on Tidradio but ok with Baofeng

cliffr39

I'm a ham op and just recently obtained my GMRS license. I picked up four cheap handies: Tidradio H3 and H8, Baofeng UV-21 Pro v2 and GM-T8. I configured all four with local repeaters and their tones. There is one repeater that works perfectly on both Baofengs and not the Tidradios. With the H3/H8 the display turns on when RX and I see the signal, but nothing comes out the speaker. I press monitor and I can hear the conversation just fine. OK figure it is the squelch so I drop it to zero and still cannot hear anything (Baofengs are set to 3). I cannot figure out what is wrong. I even went as far as to write down each menu item and their individual settings on paper to compare. Same RX/TX freq., same D125N for both on all four radios. It isn't a weak signal that one picks up better than another, as the repeater is 3 miles from me and using the same external antenna. I can hear the repeater ID every time on all radios. Freq/Tones given to me by Owner so should be correct (especially since it works on 2 of 4 radios)

At a loss here.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
Make sure that your Tidradios are set to carrier squelch for receive. Sounds possibly like your squelch is not opening for lack of a correct code.

paulears

if the Baofeng allows programming -set up a transmit frequency, on the repeater output and enter the repeater tone. See if the Tidradio lets you hear. If not, you've probably set the tone frequency incorrectly. As mentioned above, why not turn off receive tone and go back to normal old fashioned squelch and see if that works. Fiddling is kind is kind of what ham radio is all about.

cliffr39

Thanks to both for replying. I have RX 462.725 with D125N and TX 467.725 with D125N also. Baofeng "just works" (both directions), while Tidradio shows something coming in but can't hear unless I hit MONI. @paulears I set the Baofeng to transmit on the 462.725 with D125N and I can hear it on the Tidradio just fine. So it seems the Tidradio should be configured correctly. Again I have the sql = 0 and still doesn't help.

Edit: Also, sure I could just turn off the RX part, but now it's more of a "I have to figure out why" now lol.

Last edited:

paulears

If you have the squelch at zero - that would normally be open. I guess the filter frequency could be wrong, or maybe the radio expects a higher tone level. Just turn off receive tone so the thing hisses like mad with squelch on zero - that should be the same as monitor button prodding, and put it back to the setting where the squelch closes

rescuecomm

It seems the Tidradio H8 and the Senhaix GT-12 both have problems decoding DTC or digital tone squelch. They both are bluetooth programmable and have similar capabilities although the GT-12 is an amateur radio. Maybe a problem inherit with the radio chip?