BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Trouble Picking up SRECS (Spokane Regional Emergency Communications System)

Ethantheman

Premium Subscriber
Hi there! I own a BCD996P2 with a Remtronix REM-830B antenna. I'm having issues picking up SRECS (P25 Phase 1 system), I have imported the system from RadioReference using FreeScan. I don't know what I'm doing wrong someone, please help! (NOTE: I am pretty new to this) Firmware Version: 1.11.04

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. What site(s) on the system are you attempting to pick up? If monitoring Site 001 Simulcast you could be experiencing a well discussed phenomenon on the forums known as simulcast distortion depending on your location relative to two or more towers on the simulcast cell. Feel free to try the multipath mitigation steps outlined in the wiki linked here to try and isolate the signal to one tower, they may or may not work. Ultimately you'd be much better off with an SDS100 or SDS200 which are designed to cope with the effects of simulcast distortion.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please attach your FreeSCAN .996 programming file so we can take a look at it. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I would try just programming in the control channel frequencies (in FM mode) and determine if you have a signal. You might find a "better" signal from a site other than expected. Without knowing that, nothing will work. From here you can determine if you need a better antenna, whether your radio functions and/or to move ahead with programming. In theory, if that control channel frequency has a good signal, you can program it into a System and run the scanner in ID Search mode. You should hear stuff, but just see the TG IDs and not Alpha tags. Then, back to full programming.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
the 996 and many others have trouble with a simulcast transmission.
can you try one of the other sites/tosers ?

Are you seeing anything on the signal strength indicator? If you are, that suggests you are receiving the system but may have challenges decoding the digital signals. That's because you are receiving multiple towers that are out of sync with each other. Any scanner other than the SDS models have been known to struggle with simulcast systems.

It may seem strange, but you can try disconnecting the antenna and see what happens.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Well from the FreeSCAN file the problem is rather obvious. You have the trunk system type set to MOTOROLA TYPE II.

Why are you using that type for P25 systems?? SRECS and WSDOT are set incorrectly.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber