Editing Trouble with pic sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I would love to add a pic of a typical radio template for the Marion County, IN Fire/EMS radios, but am running into issues getting the images cropped to a size the wiki allows. Anyone willing to take a shot at editing and adding these for me?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are free image resizers out there. Some even do it online.

jabbeaux

but am running into issues getting the images cropped to a size the wiki allows.

Is your issue file size or dimensions?

Ideally neither causes a problem. You upload a pic at max quality/resolution. Then reference that file in a wiki page, which will automatically resize to your desired (or, wiki defaults) dimensions.

The format to reference an image is [[File:[I]filename.extension[/I]|[I]options[/I]|[I]caption[/I]]] - the various options are described here. In most cases, I specify options of "thumb" and "300px" and the pic is perfect.

For example, on this wiki page the top right pic was added with this code

Wiki:
[[File:GSeries Family.png|thumb|right]]

which auto-resizes the original pic to the size displayed. But click the image to see the original. You'll see a big image, and all resizing is handled by the wiki code, saving us humans the work.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Yes, that extension works. However, we still have a file size limit of 2 MB. If the file that milf wants to upload is larger than that, he'll need to reduce it before trying to upload.

jabbeaux

Yes, that extension works. However, we still have a file size limit of 2 MB. If the file that milf wants to upload is larger than that, he'll need to reduce it before trying to upload.
Ah yes good point!

@milf - my favorites for editing images. All online tools, all free, none require signup or login.
  • TinyPNG.com: Quick, free, easy online tool to reduce the size of any Webp, Jpg, or Png file. Very popular tool. Just drag/drop file, wait a second, download the new version. 5 MB limit per file, max 20 images at a time.
  • resizeimage.net: To quickly resize, aka change dimensions, of an image. Free site, quick, simple, no signup. Just upload, specify new dimensions, download new file.
  • bulkresizephotos.com: Similar tool as above site for changing dimensions. Slightly different interface. Also free.
  • imageresizer.com: Similar changing dimensions tool. Free. Like the others, can resize multiple images at once.
  • pixlr.com: Basically photoshop, but online. For free. No signup required. Really nice tool, intuitive layout, pretty powerful options. If you need to do some intricate editing of an image.
  • remove.bg: Hands down my favorite tool for removing the background from an image. Just upload, click button, wait, download the fixed version. Works pretty well. Higher quality the image you upload, the better the automatic background removal.
Larger the image dimensions >> larger the filesize (MB). 2 MB limit of our wiki is plenty big. Assuming your dimensions are 2,000px or more, I'd use a "resize" tool to make it less wide and/or less tall. If your image is > 2 MB still, I'd try TinyPNG site to compress the file size down. In most cases, it'll cut down by 30-40% without noticeable loss of quality. In fact, if an image file is too big, my first choice is TinyPNG before I use the other tools...mostly because it's a fast, simple solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.