• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trunking Free Scan on G-Series.

What do you think about this new function?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecch

Unication Representative
Unication Representative
Hello guys,

Unication is designing a new feature and will add it to the G series pager in the future. This new feature will allow G series pager to work like a Scanner to stay on a specific TGID. Also, it has a so-called white list and blacklist to make the users scan whatever they need or block the unnecessary list.

Sorry for my bad skill in posting the pictures. If the picture is unclear please let me know.

It will be greatly appreciated if someone leaves your comments or ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Thanks for the info.
So is this geared towards the users who are not public safety and use the pagers more like scanners?
I know MY usage of the device is scanner based as im not a public safety person.
You speak of white list and black list. So it sounds like the nuisance delete is permanent.
I know on my commercial gear, Motorola and BK Technologies my nuisance delete is temporary. Anytime I turn off the scan list then back on, or tun off radio and back on, or even leave the system and come back to it (switching channels) the scan list is back to its original settings and what ever i deleted is back and ready to scan. Is this similar to how your implementing things or will i have to go thru a menu process to add the deleted talk groups back.

Also how hard would this be to add nuisance delete and Talk Group Hold to Trunking TG Scan?
TG Hold has been a wanted feature for many years.
For example i listen to a county wide radio system. I have police, EMS, Fire, Sheriff in my talk group scan list. However the console for the EMS is way over modulated and the mic is way to hot. So i often have to turn my G4 down when EMS is dispatching then either forget its turned down or wait for all of the EMS stuff to finish and turn the volume back up. . I want to keep it in the scan list but often times i want to nuisance delete the talk group because its annoying.
Another example is i mainly like to monitor Fire department. But if Police get into a chase i now want to make that a talk group i dedicate to monitoring. A Hold feature would be amazing in situations like that. But since i dont use my pager in the Monitor mode i fear this new set of features might go un-used. So adding them to Trunking TG Scan would be amazing and beneficial to a lot of users.

When it comes to using the Trunking Talk Group Monitor feature, i rarely use it. Where i am at (and many others as well) they dont use the Monitor Feature as the trunking systems have been pretty well monitored and labeled. With established systems its not likely new talk groups will pop up. This is a nice feature to have but not easy to work with. Often times i will use my Uniden Scanners to find new talk groups or monitor new systems. Plus many trunking systems in big cities also carry traffic for public works, city services, busses, and so on.
So there would be a LOT of stuff to nuisance delete. But for others its a feature they may use if the system is dedicated to public safety.

I am happy Unication is exploring these features and we hope that with our feedback they will be implemented correctly.

Another feature that has been asked for is cross system scan. These pagers have such great receivers that limiting them to just 1 system while in scan mode is limiting. I still have an APX simply because it can scan across several trunking systems. I will admit that since i have several G4 and a BK KNG2-P800 i use my APX less. But its still serves a purpose.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Great, glad to see it in the works! I use mine primarily for scanning (lots of trunked simulcast systems) and the addition of a hold and a nuisance delete would be great. In fact just yesterday I was trying to follow a call and I really wished I could have nuisance deleted another TG that was interrupting following that call. Nuisance delete should be temporary removal from scan...either changing zones or power-cycle should add those back to the scan list (that's how commercial radios work). Editing of a scan list manually (add/delete) would be a "permanent" change.

hiddenrun

Premium Subscriber
Steve,

This needs to be available in Trunking TG-Scan, not only Trunking Tg Monitor. We need to be able to hold on each custom programmed knob position.

We NEED this feature to be available for Emergency Personnel use, not just casual listeners.

Here is a scenario from a Firefighter use:

Scanning
Fire Dispatch,
Fire OPS 1
Fire OPS 2
EMS OPS 1
Fire Police

We don't want to Monitor the whole system when we are on a fire scene, but we DO want to be able to scan a range of TGs and be able to lock in on one if necessary.

On a large system on monitor mode, you might get Fire, EMS, garbage trucks, and more. We want to be able to customize the scan lists on the go and TG hold would help us and anyone else that scans for a hobby.

Feel free to contact me directly if needed.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
This would be a bonus feature for us non public safety folks who use the unication products more as a scanner than a pager

blackbelter

I am a new G5 user and truly enjoy this pager. I also would like to experience the following features in the next FM upgrade:
-Ability to scan multiple sites.
- Hold on specific TG without special programing.
- DMR trunking .
- RAS on DMR.
I must admit that I use my SDS 200 is less and less now.
Thanks,

Last edited:

tkowalik

Banned
I would echo hiddenrun.

A scenario would be in alert mode, call comes, then switch to an ops list. Here's the current fun: the ops channel could be any of 7 fireground channels, an ems channel, several mutual aid channels, etc. Therefore, currently each channel is programmed to a different knob position. If you program all of the channels to scan in a single knob position, it's basically useless because the rest of the county could be using any of those channels and it's likely traffic that doesn't pertain to you. If we could have that list in a single knob position (say Page on position 1 and scan list on position 2) and the ability to hold on a channel (and/or selectively avoid channels) on the fly would eliminate the need for dedicated knob positions for each channel.

Another scenario would be that you do want to scan all ops/SO/PD channels to monitor your side of the county. Some channels get busy on the opposite end of the county. The ability to avoid those on the fly would be great.

Great to hear about the continual development of these pagers.

(Bonus wish: ability to scan 2 separate systems).
(But then I'd only need 1 pager instead of 2 :ROFLMAO:)

CFP387

I think one of the most important factors that must be taken into consideration while any upgrade is being considered is to make sure that the unit does not miss a page when the correct tones are dropped. This may be why so many requests that are being made for new features are falling on deaf ears at Unication's R&D team.

The underlying point is that the unit is a pager and it is designed as such. I have five (5) of them, four G5's and one G4 (and currently considering in buying another) and none of them have ever missed a page. I scan one system, or one site, per pager in my county and surrounding areas. If Unication wanted to make a scanner, I believe that they have all the necessary ingredients to blow Uniden and Whistler right out of the market. I believe I speak for everyone here when I say that these units are just that good.

However, if Unication were to consider making a scanner receiver, most, if not all, of the same features that folks are asking for now would be requested for the scanner as well making the scanner and the G-Series pager one in the same. Somehow, I don't think Unication wants this to happen or it would have been considered years ago. We have either all made, or thought of making, a request to Unication for certain features and upgrades we'd like to see in future firmware and, believe me, I understand the desire.

I started in the hobby in 1985 with a new Regency 30-channel base unit and telescoping antenna. (It was more expensive than some crystallized units that were still on the market at that time). When my county went to simulcast trunking in 1989, I bought a "super converter" that changed frequencies in the 400 MHz range to 800 MHz range so that I could continue to monitor traffic by constantly hitting the scan button to follow the conversation. I thought then that if the portable and mobile radios could scan trunking systems, a scanner should be able to as well. Fast forward 30 years and look at what we have today. I don't think there's much of an argument that we should be patient with Unication's team and let them roll out the features in their own time.

mitbr

Well I hope this actually happens seems as though its been said for many years. I will believe it when it happens LOL.
Here is my view...This needs to be available in Trunking TG-Scan, not only Trunking Tg Monitor. Please please please make sure it is available in TG-Scan mode!!!!!!!! Thanks for listening to us Unication!
Tim:cool:

N6ML

My interpretation is that this would be a new "Receiving Mode", when programming knob positions. I'd like to see some more detail on the (proposed) structure of "Scan Lists" and "Scan Aliases".

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
I am a public safety user and have a G4 & G5. I use them for paging and also as a scanner. At night, it is a pager. The rest of the time while I'm awake, it is a scanner. The G5 is more portable and using it as a scanner ensures my public safety portable radio is fully charged for incidents instead of partially charged because I am using the radio to scan. The size and ability to handle simulcast sites makes it a perfect option to use as a vehicle scanner.

I would like to be able to "nuisance delete" and "talk group" hold while in Talk Group Priority Scan. Having this only on Talk Group Monitor would be of no use to me (and probably aggravate me that it is then possible but not available in Talk Group Scan) as I can care less what the County Road Depts, Utility Cos, School Buses, and Jails are doing. I also think that the nuisance deleted talk groups should only be temporary. Turning the Unication off or changing the knob selector would automatically clear the list.

Adding a "User ID Alias" to be displayed instead of the numeric User ID would be even better!

skylerm

Feed Provider
Definitely would be a great feature to be able to hold on a TG.. being able to edit the scan lists similar to how Motorola radios allow would also be a great option.. Hope the updates are out soon.

fuzzmanmatt

So long as it doesn't destroy the ability to use it as a pager, this would be awesome. I would love to see two different software set-ups, one for scannerheads and one for public safety, but I understand the obscenity of supporting extra software when there's not much of a business case for it.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
So long as it doesn't destroy the ability to use it as a pager, this would be awesome. I would love to see two different software set-ups, one for scannerheads and one for public safety, but I understand the obscenity of supporting extra software when there's not much of a business case for it.
Ive been saying that for a while. 2 sets of software. Keep the public safety users happy with what they have and add options for scanner people with a different pager programming suite for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.