TRX-1 or 1080/1088

Scanner-ron

A little back information first to get the best advice/help. Most of the time travel in the same geographical areas of Barton, Reno, Rice, and Stafford CO, (so maybe monitor 5 or 6 sites) and I only listen to KHP Troop F 6 TG's I rarely go to Wichita, and if I do, I can carry my SDS 100.

I've been thinking of getting either the TRX-1 or 1080 1088 to carry in my car., instead of carrying my SDS-100, any pros or cons to this?

Thanks!

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Go with the TRX-1 just for the sheer pleasure of having real physical keys to activate/deactivate scan lists.

the 1080 is menu-driven and as such, is a pita to operate mobile, as it requires quite a few keypunches just to get out of scan mode / untag/tag needed scan lists / confirm each one individually / re-activate scan.
Not something really “road-friendly”, to say the least.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I agree with @lamarrsy plus ease while driving, if the choice is TRX 1 or 1080, but I don't know how simulcast is in your area which would cause you to look at the SDS100. Additionally, if you want the GPS that too would push you towards SDS100.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I agree with RaleighGuy above too : SDS100 with a gps puck seemit would cover all the bases.
Furthermore that you already have the SDS100 : invest in a bit of hardware for it (gps puck, cables, ext antenna) instead of starting from scratch with another “family” of radio.

That way you will not fight to maintain the same things on the Whistler and the Unidens (no easy way to transfer data from one to the other).

You could always try to get a used BCD436hp as a backup to your SDS100 instead of a Whistler, as the data is easily shareable between the 100 and the 436.