TRX-2 Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoiM

Last month I got a brand new Whistler TRX-2 scanner. I had it maybe for about 2 weeks and it was working fine but after 2 weeks of owning it, It would scan and when it would stop on a frequency I could only just hear a faint static sound, I also tuned into the weather stations and same thing, nothing. I tried adjusting the squelch and volume and nothing. I also tried reformatting the SD card that came with the unit and I reloaded the frequencies and nothing. I also purchased a new SanDisk SD card and nothing. I also tried plugging in headphones to the headphone jack in front of the unit and nothing. I also tried updating the CPU and DSP firmware and nothing. When the unit was working fine the unit would get a bit warm after maybe 10 minutes of use and in some cases, I would hear a popping sound from it and the unit would shut itself off. I decided to ship it out to Whistler for repair. I shipped it out on Dec 22, they received it on the 28th. I checked the website under "check your repair status" and the unit wasn't checked in until Jan 5. I see on their website that it takes 2-3 weeks for a repair. So that means they won't get it fixed until Jan 26 then I won't get it back till a week later, earliest Feb 2nd, if they ship it out on Jan 26 witch I doubt it. Are they really that backed up and busy with repairs that it takes that long for a repair? I've seen a similar post on Facebook about them taking so long for a repair dating back to 2018. So I don't think the covid pandemic is the reason why they are taking so long with repairs. This is my first time owning a scanner and what a horrible experience. It seems that repairs or customer service is nonexistent or the last thing on the company's mind. Never again will I ever consider purchasing anything by Whistler

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This is my first time owning a scanner and what a horrible experience. It seems that repairs or customer service is nonexistent or the last thing on the company's mind. Never again will I ever consider purchasing anything by Whistler

First, you picked a bad time to expect speedy service with all the new scanners sold, and Whistler taking time to enjoy the holidays with their families.

Secondly, the average repair time is less than the 2-3 weeks, but they need to give themselves time in case of issues or lots of repairs. @Whistler_Support has a really good customer service and you need to give them a chance before jumping on here and complaining about them. I've been happy with the service they've given me.

MoiM

First, you picked a bad time to expect speedy service with all the new scanners sold, and Whistler taking time to enjoy the holidays with their families.

Secondly, the average repair time is less than the 2-3 weeks, but they need to give themselves time in case of issues or lots of repairs. @Whistler_Support has a really good customer service and you need to give them a chance before jumping on here and complaining about them. I've been happy with the service they've given me.

so what your saying is that I picked a bad time to purchase a $500 paperweight that only worked for 2 weeks? Yeah they must have a lot of repairs due to how reliable their products work

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
so what your saying is that I picked a bad time to purchase a $500 paperweight that only worked for 2 weeks? Yeah they must have a lot of repairs due to how reliable their products work

NO that isn't what I said, but given the time you did buy it take into consideration that there were two holidays, both that Whistler was closed, and I'm sure many others who bought scanners for Christmas calling with questions or also having issues it needed to be returned. Overall on the forums you won't hear a lot of complaints about turn around time or Whistler service, and as you can read on this forum Uniden takes about the same amount of time and is harder to reach. And, since you have a warranty and @Whistler_Support is fixing it for you I'd hardly call it a paperweight. But hey, feel free to vent or complain, doubt it will speed up the process.

MoiM

NO that isn't what I said, but given the time you did buy it take into consideration that there were two holidays, both that Whistler was closed, and I'm sure many others who bought scanners for Christmas calling with questions or also having issues it needed to be returned. Overall on the forums you won't hear a lot of complaints about turn around time or Whistler service, and as you can read on this forum Uniden takes about the same amount of time and is harder to reach. And, since you have a warranty and @Whistler_Support is fixing it for you I'd hardly call it a paperweight. But hey, feel free to vent or complain, doubt it will speed up the process.

bottom line the unit shouldn't have stopped working with 2 weeks of normal use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
bottom line the unit shouldn't have stopped working with 2 weeks of normal use.

That's what I said about my car when it stopped running just a week after I got it, but welcome to life where the unexpected happens. Maybe that's why they give out warranties :rolleyes:

MoiM

That's what I said about my car when it stopped running just a week after I got it, but welcome to life where the unexpected happens. Maybe that's why they give out warranties :rolleyes:

it musta been a POS car that you bought then... haha

N8IAA

First, why didn't you return the scanner to where you bought it? Would have been my first move. That's not Whistlers fault.

CycleSycho

:eek: OP, sounds like something else (or many something else's) is/are bothering you. Return it to where you bought it and get another one. IF by then you have another 'brick', you have a more compelling reason to say some of the things you implied. Now, maybe you bought it off the internet and have to go through a process of returning it (unless you cannot), that is not Whistlers fault either (is it?). Keep us in the loop, something broken right out of the box (so to speak) would be brought back to where bought (unless dropped or abused). :eek:

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I just sent my TRX-1 to Whistler for repair as it fell off my night stand with the USB cable plugged in and damaged it so I don't blame Whistler for that. They repair products that are not just defective.
I know it's disappointing after buying a new product to have to send it in but they do a great job fixing or replacing their products.

MoiM

I just sent my TRX-1 to Whistler for repair as it fell off my night stand with the USB cable plugged in and damaged it so I don't blame Whistler for that. They repair products that are not just defective.
I know it's disappointing after buying a new product to have to send it in but they do a great job fixing or replacing their products.

Yes, I agree. They do not only repair defective products. I am sure they are great at fixing their own products, after all, they are the manufacture of their products. It's not like if I just took it down the street to the guy that fixes electronics out of his garage. Yup, it is disappointing after buying a BRAND new (the very first scanner I've ever owned) product and having to ship it out to them, a week for it to get there and it wasn't checked in for service till a week after they received it and having to wait 3 weeks or more on top of that. Tomorrow marks 3 weeks since they have checked it in for service, Let's see how much longer the repair will take, then another week to receive it after they mail it out. The earliest I would see it would be Feb 2nd if they actually finish with the repair by tomorrow and ship it out by tomorrow witch I doubt. Someone mentioned that I sent it during the holidays and I understand that, but we are way past the holidays now. I hope your repair on your TRX-1 doesn't take that long. If you just shipped it out I don't see you getting back your unit mid-march.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I sent it UPS on Tuesday and they received it Friday UPS ground.
I didn't use USPS as they are backed up and who knows when it would have got there.
I'm Lucky I have 3 other Whistlers so not missing much scanning.
Good luck on a timely repair for both of us.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I sent it UPS on Tuesday and they received it Friday UPS ground.
I didn't use USPS as they are backed up and who knows when it would have got there.
I'm Lucky I have 3 other Whistlers so not missing much scanning.
Good luck on a timely repair for both of us.
USPS is no longer backed up, sent my Scanner Thursday afternoon Priority mail, they received Monday end of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.