TRX-1: TRX driver instability

Status
Not open for further replies.

visegrip72

Just curious if anyone else has driver instability with the TRX. I've noticed a few issues. I've used two different Windows 7 machines.

It seems that the scanner is only recognized in certain USB ports. In specific USB ports, the driver loads and everything is fine. Some ports say the driver install failed & give the driver the yellow exclamation point in device manager on the proper driver. I can plug a flash drive or something else, like my GRE-500 programming cable into the same ports and it works fine. So I am limited as to which ports the driver likes on my machine.

I know this part is not normal usage, but I am testing for my application. I've tested and recreated this issue with the remote demo program, so I know it is not my software. If I hit begin, it connects, all is good. After a few stop/starts, the program does not connect. After killing the app and restarting, it no longer sees the scanner (but the scanner is still listed in the devices perfectly). I have to reboot the scanner for it to talk via the serial port again. I know this repeated stop-start is not normal, but still a bit annoying. Also, after a bit of this, I think the USB system gives up, because I only receive the triple usb fail sound (duh-duh-duh). Then I must reboot in order to use the scanner via cable again.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm experiencing the same issue with a WS1098.

One set of usb ports will not recognize the scanner. I keep getting a usb device not recognized error. The other set of ports work fine.

BrianG61UK

I believe this is due to something weird about the scanner's USB interlace.

My WS1088 just doesn't work at all with any of the USB ports on my desktop PC (which has an Intel Z87 chipset).

On my laptop (Intel QM77 Express chipset) the scanner only works on the USB2 ports and not on the USB3 ports.

I had to buy a PCIE card with an old MOSChip USB2 only interface chip and 4 USB2 ports on it to make the scanner work on my desktop PC.

I use 64 bit Windows 7 on both these PCs.

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I believe this is due to something weird about the scanner's USB interlace.

My WS1088 just doesn't work at all with any of the USB ports on my desktop PC (which has an Intel Z87 chipset).

On my laptop (Intel QM77 Express chipset) the scanner only works on the USB2 ports and not on the USB3 ports.

I had to buy a PCIE card with an old MOSChip USB2 only interface chip and 4 USB2 ports on it to make the scanner work on my desktop PC.

I use 64 bit Windows 7 on both these PCs.

Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer or intel via the intel driver update utility? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

AOD999

I think we have a winner.

Just checked and the ports which don't work are USB3.

Hate to burst the theory but I use my MacBook Pro 2014 15" using Windows 10 64bit through bootcamp. It only has two USB ports and they are both 3.0. I've updated the firmware on my TRX-1 without any issues whatsoever.

Blackswan73

Yep! My Lenovo Flex has 3 USB ports, two 3.0, and one 2.0. My 3.0 ports have never worked for updating my radios. Computer sees the radios on the 3.0 ports, but reports them as unknown USB device that Windows has disabled. Works fine on my 2.0 port

budevans

Both ports work on my PC with Win 10

Interesting. My PC which is running Win 10 Creator 1703 version. I use both USB 2 or USB 3 ports to do updates. Which ever port that's available at the time.

There is one minor annoyance, with this latest version of Win 10 it takes roughly 10 or more seconds for the ports to be recognized. So I have to be patient. Just as an FYI, it takes just as long with the Sentinel program for my Uniden 436.

In prior versions of Win 10 the ports were recognized almost instantly.

Ed6698

I have 3 laptops and 1 home built desktop. 2 laptops with Window 10, 1 with 7. Desktop has Windows 10. The only issue I have ever really encountered with scanners is the USB 3.0 ports on the laptops. USB 3.0 on desktop works fine.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Constant problem with whistler using both USB 2 and 3 and laptop or desktop win7.
Control demo program works without problems and only when reading/writing to SD card during upgrades or
edits and regardless of superfast SD card or a slow one.
It is some sort of interface problem to the SD card in the scanner as the transfer speed are superslow
that are very evident at startup.

/Ubbe

BrianG61UK

Constant problem with whistler using both USB 2 and 3 and laptop or desktop win7.
Control demo program works without problems and only when reading/writing to SD card during upgrades or
edits and regardless of superfast SD card or a slow one.
It is some sort of interface problem to the SD card in the scanner as the transfer speed are superslow
that are very evident at startup.

/Ubbe

Yes, it's as if the Whistler scanners use the very slowest part of USB 1.1 (1.5 Mb/s) that's normally just for really low data rate devices like mice and keyboards.

It seems like this is the best you ever get with the Whistler scanners.

Ubbe

When I copy a file of 10MB from different computers and USB ports to the TRX-2 it takes over a minute with a constant 108KB-110KB transfer speed. If I move the SD card to a card reader/writer on the same USB port it's done in less than a second.

/Ubbe

BrianG61UK

When I copy a file of 10MB from different computers and USB ports to the TRX-2 it takes over a minute with a constant 108KB-110KB transfer speed. If I move the SD card to a card reader/writer on the same USB port it's done in less than a second.

/Ubbe

Yes, and that seems to be as good as it gets with these scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.