TRX-1: TRX1 Programing - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbobt

:sick: Got this TRX1 scanner recently. Didn't buy programing, thought I can figure this out right? WRONG! Watched video from Zip Scanner multiple times, followed directions to the letter, reprogramed it numerous times, did all updates, when I get done scanner says "Nothing to scan". Really? What the heck am I missing? Thought for sure I was a person of average intelligence. Guess not! Is it possible someone could jot down basic step by step list. Maybe I'll see what I missed --- at least I hope so. If not this will be a very expensive paper weight!!! :mad: Thanks in advance for any help.

babyredwing

I have had same problem trying to program a new card... Yes I followed the same video as well... I did purchase the programming to start and thank god I did... many local fire and police channels are missing... Trying to make a new sd card is not easy... So any help you get om this issue will surly help me.

hightime

Sounds to me that the scanlist is not enabled or the scanlist is not assigned to a scan set and enabled. Programing without software is a real pain. The programing software is free at Whistler.com Under: need help. downloads, select scanner, TRX-1, downloads.
Good Luck

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You need the Whistler software to properly format your SD card. Formatting it with Windows does not work. When using the software you should not plug or unplug the USB cable when the scanner is turned on, as this could corrupt the SD card.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I also agree with @jaspence make sure the SD card was formatted using EZ Scan under the top Scanner/SD Card
By default the freq/talkgroup is assigned to a default scanlist, check what your default scanlist is and change/enable if needed.
In the Trunked/Conventional tabs, make sure the proper scanlist is assigned to the frequency/talkgroup.
To check the Talkgroup's scanlist, click on trunked system name at top then talkgroup tab at the bottom.
On the General Settings screen make sure scanlist is enabled.
PM me if you need more help and I'll try to help. It can seem overwhelming when you first try to set it up, but it really is pretty easy when you get used to it. I went through the same learning curve.

Screenshot 2018-12-22 08.41.51.pngScreenshot 2018-12-22 08.42.37.png

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The answer from whistler is "Most likely you unchecked the Scan Set 01 box. Please go to the “What is a Scan Set” FAQ for a complete explanation. The quick fix: From the Main Menu scroll down to Scan Sets. Press the right arrow. Press Select to put a checkmark in Scan Set 01. Press the left arrow to exit. Done! "

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It's always something you've overlooked in the programming sequence. There is a checklist to go by when you see the 'Nothing To Scan' message on your scanner, and it's almost guaranteed you've missed something in that list, a box needs checked or unchecked, etc. Do a search for 'Nothing To Scan' checklist and you'll find it. Take your time and get it right and double check everything. You'll get it.

JD
kf4anc

bbobt

Appreciate the comments that have been sent but nothing yet. Think I need to start at the beginning of the story. Got the TRX1 not too long ago. It worked Ok out of the box, meaning it scanned the pre loaded stuff. Wanted to "customize" things so I started experimenting with programing. Watched Zip scanner programing video many times but after many attempts was not very successful. (Yes I used EZ scan software). Then at some point after trying a download I got the "nothing to scan" message. Went back into software & updated everything (firmware, library, zip code etc). I figured at this point I should be back to square 1 and it would start scanning local stuff again - nope! The info must be down loading successfully to the device because I don't get any " problem w the card" notices, but sure enough, again nothing on the device to scan!!!! Since it seems to be down loading correctly could there be a problem with the device? What can I do to troubleshoot the scanner to see if it's bad? Is there such a thing as a factory reset? (Yes I tried a different memory card). I'm at my wits end here - very frustrated! Any thoughts? Thank You!!!

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
A couple important things to check: you must have one SCANSET enabled and any and all SCANLISTS you want to monitor must me checked, not one or the other. you must also make sure that if you made a VSCANNER folder, that you enable the correct one via the scanner.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@bbobt send me a PM and I'll send you a link to my TRX Archive file. While the freqs may not pick up there, at least you'll reset the settings and be able to see if it will scan again.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Chicago area* bare-bones * example of EZSCAN. Save to desktop, open/extract. Transfer to your EZSCAN form by using FILE/RESTORE from ARCHIVE* so it opens in your EZSCAN form. *make sure you save YOUR current form to archive FIRST as this wipes out what you have on the form. If this doesn't work. Let me know. I didn't have any "conventional" objects on this one to save space for the attatchment*

Attachments

• CDAT_2018-12-22_23-41.zip
    115 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@N1GAW Yeah, I found out they limit it to a mere 193kb! last I checked. I tried my usual set up and it's like 661KB. Maybe if he can get it open and transferred, he can see what needs to be selected and open to allow things to be scanned? not knowing what area of "Chicago-land" he's in, I may have left out some stuff he needs?
Oops. I had a WILDCARD left ON in the 1st scanlist at the bottom. I had to delete the attachment, re-loaded the fix

Last edited by a moderator:

bbobt

Chicago area* bare-bones * example of EZSCAN. Save to desktop, open/extract. Transfer to your EZSCAN form by using FILE/RESTORE from ARCHIVE* so it opens in your EZSCAN form. *make sure you save YOUR current form to archive FIRST as this wipes out what you have on the form. If this doesn't work. Let me know. I didn't have any "conventional" objects on this one to save space for the attatchment*

Sorry -- not computer savvy enough to complete that process, wish I was, maybe I wouldn't be having these issues? I have no problems with basic computer stuff including the EZ scan, but that process you mention is abit confusing for my knowledge level. Isn't there an easier way to tell if this scanner has crapped out? What about the factory reset - not an option? This really disappointing, was hoping to have a new relaxing hobby & it's turning into a nightmare! Thanks again for the help - would appreciate any more ideas.

bbobt

Update! Kept screwing around with it for the last couple hours & the scanner has come back to life - no more "nothing to scan" message. Following various suggestions as well as experimenting around, I can't honestly say what I did to fix it ----- but it works!!!! Now I can get back to programing, hopefully I won't screw it up again. It's very nice to know that you folks are out there that are generous enough to take the time to help an apparently not so "bright" newbie. Thanks! (y)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Update! Kept screwing around with it for the last couple hours & the scanner has come back to life - no more "nothing to scan" message. Following various suggestions as well as experimenting around, I can't honestly say what I did to fix it ----- but it works!!!! Now I can get back to programing, hopefully I won't screw it up again. It's very nice to know that you folks are out there that are generous enough to take the time to help an apparently not so "bright" newbie. Thanks! (y)

This is when you NEED to backup your configuration. It's a really simple process and takes about two minutes.
In the top left corner click on FILE tab, Go down to Save Current Configuration To Archive click on it and save it.
If you ever have the problem again you now have a working configuration.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Also get a spare micro sd card ( Sandisk 8gb CLASS 4 speed ONLY via amazon for less then $6 shipped) program the card, now you will have a card to get you back up and running in minutes and an archive to apply to the old card if you have a problem with it.

The microsd cards are the 2nd biggest trouble maker for whistler scanners. The ones from the factory are poor quality and prone to failing, Not a matter of if, but when will it fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.