Not open for further replies.

Steve08CVPI

Are these correct? I never hear anything

Attachments

• 2D67B7D1-3B8C-4CBA-A2C5-7FEAB1B0C3D2.jpeg
    2D67B7D1-3B8C-4CBA-A2C5-7FEAB1B0C3D2.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 70

djeplett

Two things... Since its the US Government it's probably encrypted. And how close are you to the airport? You might need to be very close.

ecps92

No - Not Correct. Years ago the TSA moved to a unique NAC per Airport and ceased the common uses of $001, $002, $003

That said, remove the NAC from your programming and if around the airport [the system was engineering for On-Site coverage, so don't expect much distance from it] see what you get.

some airport have moved off 172.9000 to other channels, and there is a nationwide move [altho very slow] to go UHF [which will even more decrease the distance heard from the airport]

As to ENC, it is selectable per radio and the use will vary by User, Airport, Time of Day and any security issues/Operational Tempo as determined by the User, Airport or their Supervisors.
Are these correct? I never hear anything

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings...

I use to live about 2 miles west of KMKE airport and if the weather was right, I could pick them up. The few times that I did actually hear them using the radio, it sounded like 'simplex' to me.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
There used to be a TSA repeater in New Berlin.

May be worth sniffing around the NTIA subband to see if it still lights up, but I don't listen to fed traffic since it's 99.9% encrypted.

rjschilder

No - Not Correct. Years ago the TSA moved to a unique NAC per Airport and ceased the common uses of $001, $002, $003

That said, remove the NAC from your programming and if around the airport [the system was engineering for On-Site coverage, so don't expect much distance from it] see what you get.

some airport have moved off 172.9000 to other channels, and there is a nationwide move [altho very slow] to go UHF [which will even more decrease the distance heard from the airport]

As to ENC, it is selectable per radio and the use will vary by User, Airport, Time of Day and any security issues/Operational Tempo as determined by the User, Airport or their Supervisors.

Can't you just use NAC $7FE?

ecps92

That feature works with a REAL Two-way radio, but not a Scanner.
Yes you can listen without the NAC, but then you also could [YYMV] have to deal with near-by [dueling] airports of other users on the same Freq.
ie: I have a VA Hosp that is on the same freq as one of the CBP Air-x channels.
And we also have ICE authorized for a Repeater on the ole 172.9000 TSA [former FAA] channels - with a unique NAC

And having the NAC is many time a Confirmation of who it is.
Can't you just use NAC $7FE?

wtp

i used to work near Punta Gorda airport in Florida.
i used a uniden 396T and had all the TSA freqs in it.
if i was inside our building, i could not hear them.
outside was spotty at best.
i was across the street and around 1000 FEET away.
so you would want to be closer, to hear handhelds, than that.
when parked in the parking lot i got more transmissions.

LDRA37

The move to UHF has happened in WI.

ecps92

Which Airport in WI ?
and of course what Freq and NAC ??? are being heard

I've only heard of Two Airport having migrated over the Fall/Winter
and those were Boston and Colorado Springs
The move to UHF has happened in WI.

CrabbyMilton

If it's in the clear, I too would have to guess that it's the USPS. They have that monster sized facility just to the southeast of the airport now.

Status
Not open for further replies.