• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Turn Your HAM Radio Hobby into a Thriving Career with Day Wireless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSChristy

Your expertise as a HAM radio operator is more than just a hobby—it's a pathway to an exciting and fulfilling career. Apply today and make a difference with Day Wireless Systems!

Position: Radio Technician

Company: Day Wireless Systems

Are you a passionate HAM radio operator looking to turn your hobby into a rewarding career? Day Wireless Systems in Eureka, California, is searching for dedicated individuals like you to join our team as a Radio Technician!

Who We Are: Day Wireless Systems isn’t just a company; it’s a revolution in wireless communication! Since 1969, we’ve been at the forefront of the industry, crafting cutting-edge solutions that empower voices, connect data, and bring life to video applications. We’re not just in the business of technology; we’re in the business of transforming workplaces into hubs of safety, efficiency, and competitiveness. Join us and be a part of the legacy that’s shaping the future!

Why Join Us?

- Transform Your Passion: Use your HAM radio expertise in a professional setting, working with the latest Motorola technology.

- Trailblazers in Innovation: Day Wireless Systems is at the forefront of revolutionizing communication systems. Partnering with industry giants like Motorola and Codan, we're setting the pace for the future.

- Career Growth: We offer extensive training and development opportunities to help you advance in your career.

- Impactful Work: Play a crucial role in maintaining vital communication systems that keep communities safe and connected.

Key Responsibilities:

- Installation & Maintenance: Install, maintain, and repair Motorola radio systems, ensuring optimal performance.

- Technical Support: Provide technical support and troubleshooting for our clients, resolving issues with efficiency and expertise.

- Field Service: Conduct on-site service and repairs, demonstrating your problem-solving skills in real-world scenarios.

- System Upgrades: Assist with system upgrades and new installations, staying ahead of the latest technological advancements.

Qualifications:

- HAM Radio Experience: Hands-on experience with HAM radio operations and equipment.

- Technical Skills: Strong understanding of radio frequency technology, electronics, and communication systems.

- Problem Solver: Excellent troubleshooting skills with a keen eye for detail.

- Customer Focused: Strong communication skills and a dedication to providing top-notch customer service.

- Team Player: Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients in a fast-paced environment.

Benefits:

- Competitive Salary: Enjoy a competitive salary with performance-based incentives.

- Comprehensive Benefits: Health, dental, and vision insurance, along with retirement plans.

- Continued Education: Access to ongoing training and certification programs.

- Company Provided Vehicle and Cell Phone.

Nestled in the picturesque town of Eureka, California, you'll enjoy a blend of natural beauty and vibrant community life. From stunning redwood forests to the scenic coastline, Eureka offers an ideal backdrop for both work and play.

How to Apply:

If you’re ready to take the next step in your career and turn your HAM radio hobby into a professional journey, we want to hear from you!

Join us at Day Wireless Systems and become part of a team that values your skills and passion. Let's build the future of communication together! Click here to Apply: SR. RADIO TECHNICIAN

To speak with a recruiter: 1-877-953-3941 or email dwsrecruiting@daywireless.com.

For other Job opportunities at Day Wireless check out this link: Job Opportunities | Day Wireless Systems

**Day Wireless Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.**NOW HIRING(3).jpg

kb1fua

Retired from the Wireless industry after nearly 35+ years! Its a whole new ballgame now.😉
Radio towers are now known as cell towers, (even if they are not). 😂
The last four years were doing HVAC for VZW.😎
Now I spend my time playing radio, instead of working radio!

kb1fua

To be honest...the worst thing I ever did, was mixed my hobby with my career.
There was a period of almost 3 years where I couldn't look at a radio. I quit talking on the radio, I quit monitoring, I just turned them off. I got so burnt out. It took those three years to recover.
BUT, had it not been for my job, (the owner of the company, and a few of his employees were ham's) my ham radio hobby may have never been, or severely delayed.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Capitalization aside, Day Wireless is a pretty well respected company.

There are a lot of amateurs that would love to get a job in the industry, and it's nice to see that employers are trying to reach those that otherwise may not know how to break into the field.

Let's try to not discourage these sorts of posts by getting hung up on things like this.

@DWSChristy thank you for posting these sorts of job notices. 20-30 years ago I would have jumped at this. Hopefully someone will find their dream career. I wish more radio shops would reach out this way.

merlin

Been my experience that you go to work in the radio industry, you get home from a good day at work, the LAST thing you want to do
is messing with radios. Like no longer a hobby, you feel like you are bringing your work home with you.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Yup, gets old after awhile. bought a new FT-8800 to go in my new truck. That was 2007 and the radio is still in the box and 3 new trucks since.
I like hf dx and swl, but if I have to build a cable, jumper, something, nope it gets put off forever. Being on call 24/7 does not help either.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Been my experience that you go to work in the radio industry, you get home from a good day at work, the LAST thing you want to do
is messing with radios. Like no longer a hobby, you feel like you are bringing your work home with you.

Yeah, I figure when I retire, I'll have time for ham radio.

Still, I'd encourage other that are looking for a job in the industry to pay attention to these sorts of posts. You have to start somewhere, and getting in with a company like Day is a good place to do it. Eureka, CA is a pretty part of the state and I'd love to work up there.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
After I retired from the police department after 35 years, I worked for 2 two-way radio shops. My interest in (Ham) radio grew even stronger. As a licensed Amateur Radio operator for 56 years, I have never been inactive. Since I retired from my last full-time job in 2019, I have belonged to five clubs, VE to a total of seven, and always look forward to getting together for meetings, VE sessions, dinners, and socials Ham Radio-themed. I couldn't be happier, and always looking for another technology. Unfortunately, I have a condition that I cannot be in hot, humid weather. Hence, I'm not doing Field Day, not participating in parades, and other outdoor events during the warm weather season in Chicagoland.

im800mhz

I really hope they have more education than studying an Amateur Radio Operator's test.

Yes, I have my ticket.

And I am Engineering Manager for a large system.

kb1fua

Bingo!!!

kb1fua

I really hope they have more education than studying an Amateur Radio Operator's test.

Yes, I have my ticket.

And I am Engineering Manager for a large system.
Anyone who does any work for/with Motorola goes thru a damn good educational training. Even installers!

dickie757

Wired
Just a suggestion to anyone thinking of doing this....

Consider becoming an installer first. You will see challenges of many varieties. Power connections, coax and connectors, control cables, extensions, fuse blocks, airbags, mounting methods, rack loading, power distribution units, uninterruptable power supplies, LTE modems, antenna mounting of several types....etc.

When you know this stuff, it will help you become a better tech. Instead of just whipping out the wattmeter, go check a connection of power or coax. Basic troubleshooting. If, all of a sudden, after a thunderstorm, a customer or monitoring system indicates a problem, you know it's probably the lightning arrestor, and know where it should be.

Get your knuckles bloody in the bay and learn the challenges that the end user might see, every hour of their workshift. Get an appreciation for the little things, so later on, your work will show skill, and respect to the next tech that has to work on it.

Regards,
Dickie

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I was a sales associate for a private company, and the first week I was in training for 40 hours at Motorola Corporate HQ in Schaumburg, IL. Sadly, all that's left is one big tall building, and I'm unsure if many floors are leased to other industries. Now, it's Motorola Solutions, and much smaller than when I was with two radio shops between 2008-2012. If sales were THAT intense, I can imagine what tech services for an MSS would have been, or could still be presently. Many years ago, before I had two knee replacements and a cervical spine surgery, I used to crawl around in trunks of cars, wriggle myself under dashboards, and even more "athletics" to get a police car, fire truck, or other vehicle requiring radio(s), lights, sirens, and more equipped and running without the threat of breakdown due to my ineptness. This was in the late 60s/early 70s but I'm certain it isn't easier with all the roadblocks in getting stuff wired and operating correctly in the most modern vehicles. Any installer would attest to that!

kb1fua

I was a sales associate for a private company, and the first week I was in training for 40 hours at Motorola Corporate HQ in Schaumburg, IL. Sadly, all that's left is one big tall building, and I'm unsure if many floors are leased to other industries. Now, it's Motorola Solutions, and much smaller than when I was with two radio shops between 2008-2012. If sales were THAT intense, I can imagine what tech services for an MSS would have been, or could still be presently. Many years ago, before I had two knee replacements and a cervical spine surgery, I used to crawl around in trunks of cars, wriggle myself under dashboards, and even more "athletics" to get a police car, fire truck, or other vehicle requiring radio(s), lights, sirens, and more equipped and running without the threat of breakdown due to my ineptness. This was in the late 60s/early 70s but I'm certain it isn't easier with all the roadblocks in getting stuff wired and operating correctly in the most modern vehicles. Any installer would attest to that!
☝☝☝

Status
Not open for further replies.