• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Turn Your HAM Radio Hobby into a Thriving Career with Day Wireless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber

dickie757

Wired
Must suck to work for a company that can't follow basic California labor law.

Only reason not to include the salary is because it sucks.
Try again with relevant URL

freddaniel

For a young person, Day Wireless or any other MSS is as good a place to start your craft in two-way radio, as any other. As dickie757 suggests, starting at the bottom is best. In 1962, I started in a CB shop that did some commercial radio work. However, back then it was tubes, vibrators, dynamotors and other relics, but the principals were the same. Today, it is heavily digital signal processing in an analog world.
The point being, in land mobile, most difficult problems are analog in nature, like intermod and the near-far problem. Analog interference issues are best learned in the field using an analog radio. Digital radios mask these problems as the signal is not decoded, if the check-sum is wrong. With analog radio, you actually hear the garbage and your brain helps you figure it out. A talented technician can earn as much or more than an engineer. Most cellular engineers today are helpless in troubleshooting interference issues. Sure, they specify all the right parts and know how to use a spectrum analyzer, but do they know how to correct the problem, when they think they found it?
In my case, I became self-employed in 1965 in the land-mobile service field, when I turned 21. Today, I am 81 and comfortably retired after more than 60 years in the business. I encourage people to start a career in this field, but advise them to seek knowledge beyond what it takes, just to get by. Keep the job interesting by always challenging yourself. By the way, I was a ham when I was 12 and still am today, enjoying building systems & making things work.

im800mhz

I started at a MSS back in 1988, but I also have 2 years of specific voc school training for LMR. I've seen the local shops now. They don't require much education anymore. And it shows.

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
Hope some one takes advantage of that ad. If I were 30 years younger I would jump.

Kb1fua I feel your pain. I spent many years crawling under the dash of cars and trucks.
Lots of installs. Now I could do it with my eyes closed but my knees say no.
I got one more year at Raytheon and then I can relax with my ton of radios.

Steve

kb1fua

Hope some one takes advantage of that ad. If I were 30 years younger I would jump.

Kb1fua I feel your pain. I spent many years crawling under the dash of cars and trucks.
Lots of installs. Now I could do it with my eyes closed but my knees say no.
I got one more year at Raytheon and then I can relax with my ton of radios.

Steve
Hang in there! That last year drags by...every look at the calendar seems to just add. But once your day comes, YOUR life begins!
Good Luck Steve!

Status
Not open for further replies.