• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Two Tone Decode Issue G5/VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2chj

I discovered a possible issue with my G5 7/800 & VHF pager.

First, a little background.
  1. Pager. I have had it about six months. It is updated to the latest firmware, and has been working perfectly. It is set up to alert on our tones and reset with a Delay N of 15 seconds. It is also set up to record alerted calls.
  2. System. It is the 7/800 trunking system used by Union County, NC and is part of the Charlotte, NC UASI System. It is a trunking and VHF simulcast system, and the trunking Dispatch Talk Group simulcasts what is on the VHF dispatch channel. The VHF conventional channel is used almost exclusively for paging of the Minitor and Swissphone pagers, and only the tones and dispatch info goes over this channel. Then everyone is switched to the appropriate Ops channel on our XTS2500 7/800 portables. The tones also go over the 7/800 system, and I have no problem decoding and alerting on EITHER the 7/800 or the VHF talk group/channel. The Dispatch Talk Group is the first in the G5 priority list, and therefore is the highest priority during Priority Scan.
  3. Department. We have three separate stations in our department. Only ONE set of tones is used to alert our department. ALL THREE stations alert on the same two tone pair. My pager has worked fine on both the VHF and 7/800 systems, and they are on different knob positions as they cannot be on the same position.
  4. Conditions at the time of the issue. G5 was on monitor priority scan. It was scanning on the 7/800 system scanning Dispatch and our Ops talk groups. It was working fine. This is how I usually have it running, and it had already alerted, and recorded a couple of calls in the last couple hours. In the next room was a Minitor VI set to open monitor on our VHF Dispatch channel, and it, also, had already alerted and recorded the previous calls.
  5. What happened. We had two calls come in at the same time. The first call was toned out, and both the G5 and M6 alerted and recorded Dispatch info correctly. The G5 showed the normal 15 second count down and remained recording until the dispatch info dropped.
    Dispatch immediately sent the second set of alert tones. Here’s where the issue came up. The M6 alerted again (it also has a reset Delay N of 15 seconds), and recorded the second call. The G5 played the tones over the G5 speaker, but did not alert. The 15 second timer did not reset or display, and it did not record the call. No other Talk Groups were active at the time.
    Granted, this is an unusual set of circumstances, and is unlikely to occur very often, but it is potentially a disaster waiting to happen. If the M6 wasn’t on, and everyone was away from the G5, when we came back and played the recorded messages, we would never have known about the second call.
    I just thought everyone, including Unication, should know about this issue and the potential problem it could cause.

Scott
EMT-P-CC, FP, ERT
WA2CHJ

Last edited:

KB4SHP

Feed Provider
Hey Scott I would contact your dealer and they will probably put you in contact with someone with unication reason I say this when we got our G1s we had a problem with them not alerting in the amp charger

wa2chj

Hey Scott I would contact your dealer and they will probably put you in contact with someone with unication reason I say this when we got our G1s we had a problem with them not alerting in the amp charger

I originally got it from Ray's Pagers, and he's pretty good about monitoring this forum, so I figured he would see it and reply.
If he doesn't in a couple days, I will definitely take your suggestion and email it directly to him. I just figured I'd kill two birds with one stone...making everyone aware of this issue and Ray/Unication seeing it as well.
Also, just FYI, I have the non-amplified drop in charger, and whether or not the pager is in it, it normally alerts just fine. At the time this issue happened, it was not in the charger. I'm sure it's some kind of timing thing, or the pager was just confused by the double alert.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.