• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF "Call Tone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

adza

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I've seen a feature on a number of UHF radio sets (Call Tone). You hit the button and it sends out a small burst of melody.

You can normally choose from 5 different 'tones / melodies'.

Does anyone know what is the purpose of this feature. (Besides annoying other fellow CB'ers)?

To clarify - I'm not talking about Sell Call (or Tone Squelch) or CTCSS - it's like a little musical tune that you broadcast - and can only be done once per minute.

Cheers

Adza

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It's just an alert to let a specific user know that you'd like to talk to them. Usually, it stands out over simply using your voice and grabs their attention. Other than that, yeah it'll annoy people! We (in the US) have the same thing on our "bubble pack" FRS/GMRS radios.

VA3XDJ

While we don't have UHF CB here in Canada. From what I understand he is probably referring to selcall. A rapid sequence of 5 short tone bursts allowing a unit to selectively call another.

Maybe consulting the Uniden or Phillips websites will yield more information as they are the major suppliers in Australia from what I've seen. This website might also help: UHF CB Australia - News - Repeater Locations - History - Sales & More

Here in Canada (and the US) we have 27MHz AM/SSB like Australia and we also have FRS/GMRS which operate on 462 and 467MHz frequencies.

In the US they are allowed to purchase a license for 5 years that covers their entire family and allows base, portable and mobile units to run up to 50 watts and allow repeaters which here in Canada is not allowed and we're limited to portables with a maximum of 2 watts with fixed (non-removable) antennas.

adza

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. It's not sellcall - (ie, there's no option to reverse the option). We ahve CTCSS / DCS here now which effectively has 'taken over' sell call on CB radio's.

50 watts transmitter. That's a fair bit nicer than the 5 watts we're limited to here with CB.

VA3XDJ

I could've sworn they had Selcall...

I must admit though, listening to UHF CB streaming online does makes for interesting listening!

Kinda reminds me of the infamous 435 repeater in California.

VA3XDJ

As I suspected...

Selective calling (Selcall)

Selective calling (Selcall) allows an individual radio to call another radio using a sequence of tones, usually presented to the user as a series of 5 numbers. UHF CB radios can be set to be completely silent until they receive a series of tones matching a pre-programed sequence. Radios which have this feature usually indicate that a call has been received by emitting a number of beeps and by opening the squelch.

Here's another link with audio sample: Selcall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VA3XDJ

From what I can see doing a search for "UHF CB Selcall" the GME TX4400 and Uniden UH015SX both offer Selcall.

VA3XDJ

Now I'm embarassed... I've just re-read the original post...

You are surely referring to simple "call" tones emitted by mostly portable units that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

For example Motorola FRS/GMRS units sold here have 5 different call tones. Others, such as Cobra emit what sounds like a prolonged digital burst.

My apologies.

adza

Premium Subscriber
Yup, there's the ones I'm talking about. A little musical ring tone - that doesn't seem to do anything but annoy other users... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.