UHF Channels restricted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennispower

I see on many prepper and survivalist guide the channels:
445.975 "ham U4"
446.030 "hamU3"
446.075 "hamU2"
Are these Ham radio restricted channels?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"U" may be designation indicating UHF or the 440 MHz amateur radio band.

Likewise, "V" would be the designation for VHF or the 144 MHz amateur radio band.

k6cpo

I see on many prepper and survivalist guide the channels:
445.975 "ham U4"
446.030 "hamU3"
446.075 "hamU2"
Are these Ham radio restricted channels?

This is something that originated among preppers that have ham radio licenses. Nobody "owns" a particular frequency on the ham bands. Anyone can use any frequency, although there are frequencies and segments of bands that have been designated for particular purposes through "band plans" which are gentleman's agreements. It's just common courtesy to not, for example, carry on a simplex conversation on someone's repeater frequency.

There is nothing "restricted" about those frequencies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Some group called AmMRON wrote up those frequency lists. They have no authority to restrict any licensed ham to use those frequencies. And yes the 446.030 is supposed to be 446.025, they circulated that error and never fixed it .

romanr

I see that I must have stepped on someone's toes....;-)

I believe that the group you refer to is actually AmRRON.

SKaiserling

They aren't actually restricting anything, it's part of a SHTF (s*** hits the fan) communications plan that their members are supposed to congregate on to maintain regular contact. You can still use those frequencies, and if you are using it when they want to use it, they can't interfere with you. They might try to bully you off the freq but that's basically it.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
They aren't actually restricting anything, it's part of a SHTF (s*** hits the fan) communications plan that their members are supposed to congregate on to maintain regular contact. You can still use those frequencies, and if you are using it when they want to use it, they can't interfere with you. They might try to bully you off the freq but that's basically it.

If you're running unlicensed on those UHF frequencies, they can absolutely "interfere" with you. You have to be licensed to be there plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.