Unable to get volume on NTIRN channels

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how to distinguish which TGs are on Dallas Layer 1 vs Dallas Layer 2. I need it specifically for TG SWR but would like to know how to access the info for any TG
My understanding is that Public Safety(Police, Fire, & EMS) tgs will be on Layer 1 Primarily, but they may also be heard on Layer 2 to enhance coverage. Public Works will be on Layer 2 only. Again, that's my understanding, and it's subject to change immediately. SWR is on Layer 1 too.

fits_51

Premium Subscriber
I received my SDS 100 and only took a few minutes to actually get it up and running on NTIRN with my TG. Works great. I am still working with Whistler to see if we can get the TRX-1 to function and I will let you know of our progress. Thanks to all of you who responded to my situation, I really appreciate all the advice, especially the SDS 100 info.

If any of you have any further suggestions for the TRX-1 to combat the synchronization thing, please let me know.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I threw in the towel on the TRX-2 after the new PAWMCO system went operational and called whistler to inquire why their 500 dollar scanner would not track the system properly. They guy told me to buy a Uniden SDS and bid me a good day.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Can anyone tell me how to distinguish which TGs are on Dallas Layer 1 vs Dallas Layer 2. I need it specifically for TG SWR but would like to know how to access the info for any TG
I have the SDS100 in my jeep on a Larsen NMO mount (Drilled). I listen to SWR as well as DPD and DSO and have both layer 1 & 2 programed. I have ZERO problems receiving any of those around North Dallas all the way to Melissa and at night Blue Ridge and Trenton, in fact last Sunday I was hearing it fine, a little scratchy but still fine in Bonham.

fits_51

Premium Subscriber
I threw in the towel on the TRX-2 after the new PAWMCO system went operational and called whistler to inquire why their 500 dollar scanner would not track the system properly. They guy told me to buy a Uniden SDS and bid me a good day.
Apparently that was wise advice if you wanted to continue your listening pleasure with your core channels. I still believe in the TRX-1 and will work with Whistler to see if there is any kind of solution. But in the interim, I shall enjoy my SDS 100.

fits_51

Premium Subscriber
I have the SDS100 in my jeep on a Larsen NMO mount (Drilled). I listen to SWR as well as DPD and DSO and have both layer 1 & 2 programed. I have ZERO problems receiving any of those around North Dallas all the way to Melissa and at night Blue Ridge and Trenton, in fact last Sunday I was hearing it fine, a little scratchy but still fine in Bonham.
I am pleased with my SDS 100 as well, no problems to date.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I received my SDS 100 and only took a few minutes to actually get it up and running on NTIRN with my TG. Works great. I am still working with Whistler to see if we can get the TRX-1 to function and I will let you know of our progress. Thanks to all of you who responded to my situation, I really appreciate all the advice, especially the SDS 100 info.

If any of you have any further suggestions for the TRX-1 to combat the synchronization thing, please let me know.
As riverradio noted, this has been the case as far as the problems that Whistler scanners, including the TRX-1, have with simulcast systems. Their hardware simply does not have the internal horse power components to deal with it. Whistler announced, back when the SDS series scanners were about to be released, that they were developing two new scanners, the TRX100 & TRX200. These, supposedly, would be simulcast capable. But then dead silence from them for about a year, and finally, the announcement that development on those models had been discontinued. Frankly, I doubt that they had anyone on their staff capable of designing such a scanner. Apparently, they are going to ride their existing lineup as long as they can still sell them. With the possible (maybe partial) exception of the TRX-1/-2, all of their current models are based on the old GRE designs, which are now well out of date. Once sales of these now well out of date radios dwindles, I would nt be surprised if Whistler simply dropped out of the scanner market.

fits_51

Premium Subscriber
As riverradio noted, this has been the case as far as the problems that Whistler scanners, including the TRX-1, have with simulcast systems. Their hardware simply does not have the internal horse power components to deal with it. Whistler announced, back when the SDS series scanners were about to be released, that they were developing two new scanners, the TRX100 & TRX200. These, supposedly, would be simulcast capable. But then dead silence from them for about a year, and finally, the announcement that development on those models had been discontinued. Frankly, I doubt that they had anyone on their staff capable of designing such a scanner. Apparently, they are going to ride their existing lineup as long as they can still sell them. With the possible (maybe partial) exception of the TRX-1/-2, all of their current models are based on the old GRE designs, which are now well out of date. Once sales of these now well out of date radios dwindles, I would nt be surprised if Whistler simply dropped out of the scanner market.
That is sad to hear as Whistler has been around for as long as I can remember and I have a long life line. I;m just happy that there was any product out there that could handle simulcast, and I think you will see the market broaden as more simulcast systems hit the market. Whistler does have great tech support tho, at least it was for me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Apparently that was wise advice if you wanted to continue your listening pleasure with your core channels. I still believe in the TRX-1 and will work with Whistler to see if there is any kind of solution. But in the interim, I shall enjoy my SDS 100.
If you are using your TRX-1 strictly at home, you can try some of the antenna work-arounds to see if you can improve things. These suggestions would not be workable when trying to montor outside of your home. The radio environment on a moving vehicle is too varied to find a workable method.

At home, you may be able to receive the system by using a directional antenna aimed at one sub-sites (transmit tower). That would degrade reception of any other systems not in that same direction, but by focusing on a single point, you might be able to make progress.

Remember that, when dealing with Simulcast, less, not more, antenna may help. You have signals coming at you from various directions, arriving out of sync. A "better" antenna merely amplifies the signals that are not in step with your closest site. You can try the marginally forum famous paperclip antenna, to see if it helps, Reception with that might be so poor that only one signal is usable to your scanner.

Other than stating 'southern Dallas County' for your location, there's no way to suggest a specific location to focus on. No one needs your exact address, but if you'd indicate something in your area, such as a shopping center, of specific street (or highway) intersection, then a suggestion on which transmit tower to focus one would be more accurate. Let's say that you were in Duncanville. The transmitter closest to you would be on west Wheatland Rd, next to DFR Station 12. Using a fairly short antenna, not a longer or gain type, you might find that placing the scanner on a table or desktop, and then setting a baking pan or other object, tall enough to block the antenna's view, on, say, a northeast to southeast direction, you might shield the scanner from signals other than the Wheatland Road site. If you were in Lancaster, then the same item, but in a northeast to southwest position, possibly could make the scanner focus on the site in southeast Dallas County, near the Dallas Water Utilities wastewater treatment site that is west of Seagoville, roughly east of Hutchins, and south of Balch Springs. Since Dallas Layer 1 is using frequencies licensed to the state, we don't know exactly where the actual transmit towers are. But if they are in the same location as those shown for Dallas Layer 2, then these suggestions might help. Other than if you purchased a directional antenna & the hardware (and coax) to install it, none of these other suggestions would cost you nothing but a few minutes of your time.

Lastly, remember that simulcast problems are extremely location specific. You might find that using the TRX-1 in a specific location, then something in your house (metal siding outside, foil backed insulation), or an object on the other side of the wall, such as a refrigerator or metal filing cabinet, might let you find a sweet spot where the TRX-1 can function. In exchanging messages with someone else on the forums, he advised me that a six inch movement of his 436HP took his scanner from missing calls, to working much much better. This, again, would only cast a few minutes of your time.

When the system transition of Dallas & Dallas County agencies from conventional to P25 Phase II began, I tried to purpose my TRX-1 to monitor the new system, recording all traffic, to aid in identifying the usage for new talkgroups as they came online. It recorded literally thousand of audio files, none of which were of any use. Just garbled audio, While neither the 436HP, nor the 325P2, are 'simulcast friendly', I have managed to get usable reception on the new system with careful choice of location, antenna, & scanner orientation. But as is often said, YMMV.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That is sad to hear as Whistler has been around for as long as I can remember and I have a long life line. I;m just happy that there was any product out there that could handle simulcast, and I think you will see the market broaden as more simulcast systems hit the market. Whistler does have great tech support tho, at least it was for me.
Whistler's original claim to fame began with radar detectors. Since then, they have added a number of other product lines, including acquiring the IP of now defunct GRE, which is what they use for their scanner lines. I purchased one of their wireless back up cameras for my SUV. Not doubting that Whistler has some capable tech support people, but they don't have the depth of knowledge, nor the product line, to deal with simulcast systems.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
LOL Steve, Uniden detectors are better, I fully agree with you though I don't see Whistler going much further in radio scanning products. Especially with SDR tech like blue tail producing a better device than whistler.

Fits, the TRX is still a good scanner to use for other things. Also, have you tried a paper clip (metal) in the tiny hole on the BNC? I've heard it actually works.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
LOL Steve, Uniden detectors are better, I fully agree with you though I don't see Whistler going much further in radio scanning products. Especially with SDR tech like blue tail producing a better device than whistler.

Fits, the TRX is still a good scanner to use for other things. Also, have you tried a paper clip (metal) in the tiny hole on the BNC? I've heard it actually works.
I figure that Whistler will sell their WS1065 & WS1040, which are basically clones of the original PSR500 & PSR600 as long as sales volume permits .Once they become ever further outdated, and sales began to drop off, those models will likely be dropped. Those two, along with the WS1085 & WS1098, are usable in many areas that either are not using trunked systems, or are still conventional. But for those of us in larger metro areas, where many systems are Phase II, and almost surely simulcast, Whistler does not have a horse in this race.

The TRX-1 does have a solid, hand friendly, feel. It does well when I visit friends out in semi-rural west Texas, where few systems are trunked, and the public safety agencies are largely on Vhf-high. Some are analog, though many are moving to P25 conventional usage. My TRX has no issues with those.

fits_51

Premium Subscriber
I

I tried the paperclip suggestion and believe it or not, it semi worked. I was able to receive 100% of a few transmissions, maybe 75% of some others, but alas 0% of some as well. If I had an antenna that was limited enuff that it only reached the tower in my area, I might have a chance. I asked Whistler about it and am awaiting a reply. In the mean time, I am pleased with my SDS 100 which works 100 % of the time and is really easy to program, at least if all you are doing is listening to some local channels that are easily obtained from the data base. Thanks for the suggestion.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I

I tried the paperclip suggestion and believe it or not, it semi worked. I was able to receive 100% of a few transmissions, maybe 75% of some others, but alas 0% of some as well. If I had an antenna that was limited enuff that it only reached the tower in my area, I might have a chance. I asked Whistler about it and am awaiting a reply. In the mean time, I am pleased with my SDS 100 which works 100 % of the time and is really easy to program, at least if all you are doing is listening to some local channels that are easily obtained from the data base. Thanks for the suggestion.
Try setting the attenuator on the site. That might reduce signal strength from other sites to the point it might work. Also try moving the scanner around a few feet in one direction or another, as well as using the metallic "blocker" that I suggested in post 49.

These are things that might work when at a fixed location (like your home). Most of them would be usable when at a fixed location (such as at home), but not doable when out & around in your vehicle.

txdaredvl

You can cheat although it may not look pretty. I have a 396t scanner that doesnt like the simulcast at all. But I clamped foil to the bottom of the antenna and folded as a shield around it to block it from other towers. I would say I get 95% or more of clear calls on there. Once you do get it working you wont want to move it. But that is a fix for now till you can upgrade. Just make sure its lined up with the closest tower to where you are.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can cheat although it may not look pretty. I have a 396t scanner that doesnt like the simulcast at all. But I clamped foil to the bottom of the antenna and folded as a shield around it to block it from other towers. I would say I get 95% or more of clear calls on there. Once you do get it working you wont want to move it. But that is a fix for now till you can upgrade. Just make sure its lined up with the closest tower to where you are.
While that may help the 396T, 396XT, and others from that time frame, cope with certain simulcast sites, that's not a workable solution for NTIRN on the Dallas sites, others on that same system, as well other systems in the DFW area. The Dallas layers on NTIRN, and many of the other systems & sites in the DFW Metro area are P25 Phase II. So, even it the 396T, or others from that time frame, can "receive" the simulcast site, they still are unable to deal with Phase II transmisisons.

txdaredvl

While that may help the 396T, 396XT, and others from that time frame, cope with certain simulcast sites, that's not a workable solution for NTIRN on the Dallas sites, others on that same system, as well other systems in the DFW area. The Dallas layers on NTIRN, and many of the other systems & sites in the DFW Metro area are P25 Phase II. So, even it the 396T, or others from that time frame, can "receive" the simulcast site, they still are unable to deal with Phase II transmisisons.
It actually does. I have the scanner tuned to the layer 2. I had it one layer 1 but decided to put it on layer 2 and my sds100 on layer 1. You have to cut the amount of signal down due to the simulcast.
I have the 396t programmed to layer 2 fort worth fire dispatch channel and all Tarrant County fire alarm channels. I have it aimed to pick up the tower near downtown.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It actually does. I have the scanner tuned to the layer 2. I had it one layer 1 but decided to put it on layer 2 and my sds100 on layer 1. You have to cut the amount of signal down due to the simulcast.
I have the 396t programmed to layer 2 fort worth fire dispatch channel and all Tarrant County fire alarm channels. I have it aimed to pick up the tower near downtown.
You may be looking at Layer 1 & Layer 2 on the Tarrant County side. The talkgroups associated with those layers are still Phase I, for now, which the 396T can handle.

But all the transmissions on Dallas Layer 1 & layer 2 are Phase II, so the 396T cannot receive those,

riverradio68

Feed Provider
The OP did get him a SDS finally so I bet he's in golden shape now. The TRX is still a decent scanner for other systems and things. I use mine for tons of local DMR and Aviation, its almost replaced my BCT15X for aviation scanning.

txdaredvl

You may be looking at Layer 1 & Layer 2 on the Tarrant County side. The talkgroups associated with those layers are still Phase I, for now, which the 396T can handle.

But all the transmissions on Dallas Layer 1 & layer 2 are Phase II, so the 396T cannot receive those,
Actully the difference in the type 1 and 2 are how the IDs are that would affect are scanners. The reason it wont be able to listen to Dallas is the scanner is not TDMA capable. If they run digital only it would have picked them up. But again I would have had the same issue there with the Simulcast. If you can block towers it will work like a champ. I am going to get a directional antenna for it to solve the issue of using foil.