Unable to hear Emergency comms in Jackson County

Techoutlaw

Premium Subscriber
I am in Jackson County, Ms. I have an uniden Home Patrol 2 and a BCD996p2. A couple of weeks ago the first responders replaced their radios, and now I am unable to hear anything. I programmed a couple of days ago using Proscan and Radio Reference. Do these scanners not do true phase 2?

Techoutlaw

Premium Subscriber
These two models handle phase 2 but they don’t handle simulcast well, which the new system is apparently.
Thank you for the reply, not hearing anything from Jackson county, but am still getting highway patrol. So does this mean I need to invest in a sds200 you think?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If possible, you might try taking your scanner to the fringe area of coverage. That may help rule in or out simulcast. Being at the fringe means you are only receiving one site versus multiple sites.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I am in Jackson County, Ms. I have an uniden Home Patrol 2 and a BCD996p2. A couple of weeks ago the first responders replaced their radios, and now I am unable to hear anything. I programmed a couple of days ago using Proscan and Radio Reference. Do these scanners not do true phase 2?
The new Jackson County system is being discussed here

Others have reported issues receiving this system with the bcd436hp and bcd325p2 due to simulcast distortion issues while the sds200 handles the system well. Your experience with the hp2 and bcd996p2 appears to be consistent. The sds100 and sds200 are designed to handle simulcast systems whereas the other Uniden devices are not.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Others have reported issues receiving this system with the bcd436hp and bcd325p2 due to simulcast distortion issues while the sds200 handles the system well. Your experience with the hp2 and bcd996p2 appears to be consistent. The sds100 and sds200 are designed to handle simulcast systems whereas the other Uniden devices are not.You have your work cut out for you with a
Whistler scanners are even worse with simulcast. Harris P25 Phase 2 simulcast systems are the most difficult to receive. The Uniden SDS100/SDS200 scanners and Unication G4/G5 pagers are the only radios which will handle it.

Techoutlaw

Premium Subscriber
The new Jackson County system is being discussed here

Others have reported issues receiving this system with the bcd436hp and bcd325p2 due to simulcast distortion issues while the sds200 handles the system well. Your experience with the hp2 and bcd996p2 appears to be consistent. The sds100 and sds200 are designed to handle simulcast systems whereas the other Uniden devices are not.
Thank you

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply, not hearing anything from Jackson county, but am still getting highway patrol. So does this mean I need to invest in a sds200 you think?
“So, does this mean I need to invest in a SDS200?”
Not necessarily. There are a few things you can try with a BCD325P2 or a BCD996P2 first. I live in Ct. While the Connecticut Land Mobile Radio Network (CLMRN) is a P2 SIMULCAST system, I never had a problem with simulcast issues. I chalk that up to luck. I just happen to live in an area where one transmitting site suffices for my needs. I only program in one site, the closest, and as such, my BCD325P2 does ok. (There may be other factors to contribute to this such as the aftermarket antenna I use with the scanner, a short stubby. I am also fortunate that my VHF High Band and UHF agencies I listen to are strong signaled, so the stubby antenna is all that’s needed.) This being said, research the different simulcast workarounds and try them. Start with what I have done… only use one transmitting site and Avoid all others. I that site does t work, try another and so on, using those sites you can hear, usually the closest and then the next, etc.

CLMRN is a state system for state police, ARES, and various additional agencies such as local PD’s and FD’s, pretty much every state agency and local municipalities with the exception of school busses. (I don’t know why school busses are excluded when the state runs thousands of state owned Connecticut Transit buses on the system. All I can guess is the govt works in mysterious ways!)

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
Jackson Co. I'm on the coast all the time I have HP II and it works fine. You should be able to monitor EMS

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As jt & others have mentioned, your problems are most likely due to simulcast distortion. See this Wiki article on what that is.

An alternative is to get a shorter antenna.....
That's one alternative. A shorter antenna, such as this one. has very poor receiving capability. But, when dealing with a simulcast issue, "less" may be what you need, so that the only usable signal your scanner gets is from the closest, or strongest, site. You can also try using simply a paper clip. That's a lousy antenna if you were trying to get more distant sites, but that poor performance, in some cases, calms down the simulcast problems enough to allow the scanner to work. You might, still, not get everything, but it may improve things enough so that your HP-2 or 996P2 is usable on the simulcast site.

If possible, you might try taking your scanner to the fringe area of coverage. That may help rule in or out simulcast. Being at the fringe means you are only receiving one site versus multiple sites.
Either going to a fringe area of the system, or very close to a single sun-site tower, can help confirm the simulcast problems. In the fringe area, you may get a usable signal from only one transmit site, allowing the scanner to work. Or, being very close to a single site, that very strong signal may wash out the conflicting signals from other sub-sites in the simulcast.

Here is a map of the transmit towers (sub-sites) used on the system:
1728870146586.png

If you look at the licenses for the site, WNSS282 and WQMR657, you can see the addresses for the various sub-site locations. Another possibility is to use a directoinal antenna, such as a Yagi, aimed at one specific tower, preferably one that is the 'farthest' direction away from one or more of the other sites. That might not necessarily be the closest, but if you were in position to aim at, say, the one farthest north, the other sites are not next to' or 'behind' it, so that the primary signal your scanner sees is from the one location. The other sites' signals may be too weak to confuse' the scanner so that you can hear it. The downside of a directional antenna, is that you probably lose reception on other systems that are in a different direction. Using a "poor" antenna, such as a paper clip, could also lose one or more of other, neighboring, systems.

Whistler scanners are even worse with simulcast. Harris P25 Phase 2 simulcast systems are the most difficult to receive. The Uniden SDS100/SDS200 scanners and Unication G4/G5 pagers are the only radios which will handle it.
My PSR500, which is the original version of what Whistler now sells as the WS1040, is pretty much useless here in town (Dallas). Between simulcast sites, and a forest of cell sites, it is a poor performer.

Jackson Co. I'm on the coast all the time I have HP II and it works fine. You should be able to monitor EMS

Location is the key. If you are at a spot where something, such as hills, clusters of taller buildings, or something within your house, such as foil backed insulation in the walls, or perhaps something metallic 'on the other side of the wall; (like a refrigerator) that blocked signals from other sites, or reduced their strength enough that the scanner ignored the spurious signals.

Location is critical enough that, sometimes, a move, within your house, of a few feet in one direction or another, makes all the difference between hearing the system, or losing it to simulcast.

Dallas (city & county) moved to a regional trunked system, which is simulcast. I've found ways to still use some of my older scanners to monitor the system. My 325P2 has one of the Diamond antennas, RH77CA, on it. That antenna is tailored for Vhf & Uhf signals. It works on stronger 700/800MHz channels, but not as well. I have it on the 325P2, but with the scanner laid flat (not vertically) on my computer desk. One of my 436HPs has the same antenna, also laid flat. Comparing the reception logs, in ProScan, of these two scanners versus my SDS200 (all three linked to ProScan for logging), I am getting a fairly high percentage of receptions on these scanners on the simulcast. Not 100% of what the SDS200 gets, but in the 70 to 80% range; enough to be useful.

My HP-2, which is in my bedroom, has a 90 degree BNC elbow connected to the scanner's SMA to BNC adapter. The antenna used on it is an old OEM antenna from one of my oldest scanners (before 700 & 800MHz systems became common). That antenna is also paced 'flat', parallel to the desktop. I'm getting probably 60% of what I see on my SDS100, a few feet away. The HP-2 also has some of the few remaining conventional channels still in use in my area. My other 436HP also has an older OEM antenna, salvaged from the junk drawer. It gets a higher percentage of hits, likely 70 to 80%, but is not connected to a PC for logging. It also has some of the other 700/800MHz systems, as well as a DMR trunked system, loaded. Note that my house does have aluminum siding, which also does help restrict some pf the conflicting signals.

Other than purchasing a new antenna, either a shorty 'race' antenna, or directional, the other suggestions will only cost you a little of your time to try. Don't overlook moving either of these scanners to slightly different locations in the house, and see if that helps. Someone in my county found that moving his scanner only about a foot made all the difference between receiving, or losing, the system.

Ubbe

If using a worse antenna or directional antennas it will only work from home using a fairly constant RF level from the system and you will loose reception from most other systems. Then you could jus as easily use a $20 SDR dongle with a PC, that works in the same way to receive simulcast as SDS scanners do, to receive that single system without having to spend time on other systems and let your scanners monitor everything else. You don't have to spend $700 on a SDS scanner to be able to monitor one single system, even if it is much more convenient and easy to use and also allow you to monitor while mobile and not only from home.

/Ubbe

scanphreak

Read my post in here about the new Jackson County Harris P25IP system. It's a problem with Simulcast. You'll need an SDS100, SDS200, or an RTL-SDR receiver with OP25 on a computer to fully pick up everything. I have a BCD325P2 and its very hit-or-miss on picking anything up with the new system but I hear everything 100% solid with my SDS200.

EDIT: I made my comment before reading anyone else's comments. They're all pretty much spot on. I tried the small antenna it didn't work for me. I took off my 800mhz antenna and replaced it with a very inefficient 2 meter stubby antenna and I couldn't pick anything up. I found if I drove 3 miles closer to the Fountainbleau tower which is just south of the R/R tracks at 57 and 90 I had zero issues picking everything up. Simply because that site's transmitters were over-powering the other sites in the county.

If I drove into the Prominade in D'Iberville I could pick up the control channel just fine and hear everything. If I drove up into Vancleave to Wade Vancleave Rd. where one of the other sites is at I had no issue picking up everything, but driving through vancleave everything would go in and out.

Try listening to the broadcastify scanner feed for Jackson County. The feed info says it's using an SDS200 to pick up the new system. that will give you an idea of the difference.

Last edited: