Understanding The Judicial Marshals Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello All!
As a Marshal myself,I have always been a little weird about making public the frequencies that we use, especialy post 911 . Well, I have finaly decided that in the interest of all the serious radio monitors in our state, who at many times have helped me find a frequency or two, I should let everyone in on our system. First let me say that the Judicial Branch, who has one of the deepest pockets of the 3 main branches, chooses to act "broke" when it comes to the communication needs of our court system. The Judicial Marshals in our state use Kenwood TK-380 4 Watt Portable radios with a limited 3 button keypad. These radios have a digital LCD screen that simply lists the channel number. The display and Statewide channel arrangement is as follows:

CH-1 465.1875 PL.110.9
CH-2 465.2625 PL.110.9
CH-3 465.4375 PL.119.9
CH-4 465.4625 PL.110.9

CH-13-CH-16 are exactly as listed above but WITHOUT a PL. tone.

There are no channels in between,I dont know why. They are programmed as simplex channels. Marcus Communications and another Communications dealer out of Seymour whos' name escapes me right now, do the programming. The Radios on the Transport Vans are Kenwood TK-880s 450-490 MHZ., capable of 25 watts and 250 channels. They are set up on the Marcus Passport System. The vans can talk to the base which is centralized out of New Haven mainly with a few other areas like Hartford and Middletown running their own vans. There is already a move under way to centralize transportation STATEWIDE out of New Haven. The unit will be run separately with its own Chief,Deputy Chief,and so fourth as a separate single unified entity. The mobile radios can communicate with ANY courthouse in the state,through the T/A (talk around) Channels also programmed in. These are the same ones I listed above. The mobiles are not bad.
The portables are a piece of crap and Im being kind here. In a lot of courthouses dead spots rule. Judicial has done nothing to solve these issues. This is a serious concern since we are moving the worse of society in not always the best of conditions. All communication in the portables is done in the clear. I understand the Marcus passport system is not monitorable or at least very hard. I have never tried,just heard this from other fellow scanner listeners familiar with it. Even though this system is crap for the most part,it is still better than the old vhf (151.355 MHZ.) system we had when we were Sheriffs. If you can believe what I am I about to tell you,you will be astonished. NOT everyone had a portable radio during the Sheriffs Day. Only select locations had them.( Metal Detector,Garage person,Cellblock had one ect...) Many times if you saw someone running, that was the first and ONLY indication you had that there was something wrong,somewhere. If you needed help,you better have a cellphone on you or a very loud voice. Amazing or what? The old van radios were pretty much useless. I dont want to go on babbling here but I do hope that you now have a better understanding of our Ct. Court Communications System. I have an idea and Im not sure if anyone is interested but here it is. Take the frequencies I listed on here. Those of you that live near a courthouse,monitor it. Then come back on here and post which court uses what frequency. This will give us all better more detailed understanding of who does what. I dont know,you guys tell me what you think.

Manny

Last edited:

campd715

Premium Subscriber
If your radioes only have 16 channels then there's a reason they're programmed as stated (Channels 1-4 and 13-16). It's for safety. The idea is in the event the channel knob is turned the wrong way by the user it will still be on the correct frequency.Having said that I'm guessing that channel 16 =1, 15=2, 14=3 & 13=4.

Shouldn't CH 4 be 465.4625?

Thanks for the post.

Dennis

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Actually its like this;

1=13
2=14
3=15
4=16
It's the exact same order just 1-4 with PL 13-16 without.The radios are capable of 250 conventional channels. They could have gotten a different frequency for every courthouse. Why only 8 channels then why label them 1-4 then 13-16 instead of 1-8 is beyond me. Even more ridiculous is to only use a PL on half of them. Again, I dont get it but that is how it is. Anyway, I changed the last channel. You were correct. I was working from memory,go figure....

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Cordless Mics!
The Courts use a 2 channel cordless mic system from a company callled Azden at times for interpreting and other things. They use the WLX-PRO VHF Wireless Mic. I was able to see the box that they came in one time and well you guessed it,found the 2 frequencies.

F-1 169.445
F-2 170.245

I dont know if it interests anyone, but I figured I would put it out there for everyone.

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.