Understanding V-Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

I took a little getting used when I purchased my bc246t with Dynamic Memory and now it's second nature. Strongly considering a 500 and now I must learn V-scanner ! The 500 has 21 Vscanner locations:

Is it true you can only load 1 v-scanner into memory at a time ? If I want to monitor two or three separate trunked systems, do I PGM all control channels of each TSYS into one Vscanner and separate them by their TGIDs in different ScanLists ?

I have been reading the 1.2 version of the owners manual to familiarize myself with this radio. Also, page 60 states " Your PSR-600 provides a very useful FIND feature that allows..." Should it be 500 instead of the 600, or does the 500 NOT have this FIND feature. Print error ???

WX: Page 86 describes the multi-coloured LED feature in relation to the wx modes. Is it the little one next to the WX button (which looks red) or the main LED at the top of the radio ?

Thanks

737mech

Premium Subscriber
V scanner help

I've only had this 500 for a week but here's what I've learned.
First of all the manual is the same book for 500/600
With this scanner every TGID or Conventional Freq or Search Range is a single object, every object has a setup relationship to whatever system it is found on. Every object can be in one or all or a combination of scanlists. There are 22 scanlists.
V scanner is a PC folder that will store your configuration on your PC. You can have as many V folders as you want.
Let's say you have a folder for each state. Everytime you travel to a new state you can simply load that whole configuration into your scannner. This is very helpful if you find from state to state that freqs are common but have different trunked systems.
The led is a setable light alert that will flash or light if an assigned object becomes active.
I hope this helps.
Don.

pliquett

I had always used uniden scanners but got a gre because of the digital quality. The first day I was lost. I didn't understand until I started using arc500 software, then it clicked. Freqencies are entered as objects and you assign them a system. Talkgroups are then assigned to the system. Scanlist are whatever you want to scan. An example 24116 is a meca 1 talkgroup so you would enter 24116 then tag it assign it to meca 1 and then put it in any or all scan lists. You could make scanlist 1 meca only or scanlist 1 can be eastside meca 1, safe-t, and conventional. Once you understand it its like no other and it truly rocks. The V-folders are files of systems. It's like having 21 scanners in 1. My v-folder 1 is my backup of all 21 scan lists I use for Indianapolis. V-folder 2 I am working on for Niagra falls where we are going on vacation in June. All I'll have to do is hit about 3 buttons when I get there and I will be scanning, no computer needed. When I return I'll load folder 1 and be back in business. I've had mine for about a month and I'm totally sold. Hope this helps. Eric

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Just a little clarification as well... VScanner isn't really a PC folder... the 21 different VScanner folders are stored in the radio (as well as on your PC if you back them up there). Think of VScanner as a complete backup of your entire current radio setup. So if you spend a few days (weeks? months?) tweaking your radio just how you like it, you could save that to, say... VScanner folder 1. Then you could make a completely different setup for a different area. Have a trip to Florida coming up? Use the RadioReference import feature in most software applications to download a whack of systems and their talkgroups and set them up the way you like...and save that to VScanner 2. When you get to Florida you would simply go into the menu and load VScanner 2. Walla... you have a completely different setup loaded to your radio without the need for a laptop or PC. When you get back home, just reload folder #1. My Pro-96 has 11 VScanner folders and they are handy as can be, and a real powerful tool when used to their potential. As for the Unidens, the dynamic memory ties more directly into how the radio scans thru it's systems and it's 'current' memory. Very powerful as well, but in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.