• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Uniden 8080S Schematic. Totally Dead. Power at board, no obvious damage.

GeoffinOz

Hi,

Have a Uniden 8080S 80ch UHF CB/400-520mhz scanner. (Australian UHF CB)

Obtained from a somewhat simple minded friend who can't tell AC from DC who is very vague about what happened to it.
Possibly misconnected or mispowered, but he's a little hard to follow at best so really no idea. Unit is totally dead, no lights anywhere no response to function on etc.
Testing at the board reveals 13.5v on the input to the board, nothing on CPU bus or 5v bus.

Very small SMC based board with flyspeck components.

There is no visible damage to the board or any components I can see and have not been able to identify any internal fuses or fusible resistors so far.
Suspect PS/Regulator or possibly just an OC resistor somewhere.
I have manual but no schematic.

If anyone has a schematic for this radio they can provide a copy of, I'd be most grateful.
Equally, anyone that has experience with this kind of failure mode on this particular radio that would be kind enough to share it would also be most welcome.

Regards

GeoffinOz

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Most 12VDC devices (used to anyway) have a reverse polarity protection diode- usually close to the 12V input.
Anything look like it popped?
(I see you said "no obvious damage'... does it smell)?

Now, if it was hooked up to line current, the whole power supply is probably toasted.

GeoffinOz

Most 12VDC devices (used to anyway) have a reverse polarity protection diode- usually close to the 12V input.
Anything look like it popped?
(I see you said "no obvious damage'... does it smell)?

Now, if it was hooked up to line current, the whole power supply is probably toasted.

Yes, there is a crowbar diode for reverse polarity protection and it tests ok.
Smell was first thing I went for, and no, everything looks fine visually. I've got it under the microscope (literally) now, to see if there's anything less obvious The SM components are VERY small, one resistor I'm sus about is about 2mm x .5mm. Looks ok but setting up the scope to look more closely.
A schematic would be terrific but can't find one online and there isn't one in the manual unfortunately.

Thanks for your response

GeoffinOz

GeoffinOz

Ok, progress. What I thought was a crowbar diode isn't. What I have found however is a Zener, D501, that has a pinhole blown in it. One side goes direct to the 13.5v positive rail, s other side goes to ground it seems. Seems to be OC unsurprisingly. Grilling of the owner suggests he MAY have reverse polarised it, possibly without a fuse in the line(!) but he's so vague it's hard to be sure of anything.
I'm suspecting it's been RP for a while, long enough for that diode to go OC and that suggests full 13.5v reverse applied to the rest of the PS components, probably with fatal results.
I'm unable to get a schematic, Uniden refuse to provide any service or technical information at all unless you are a 'Uniden Authorised Technician' they won't even give the voltage of the Zener, (which is of course unmarked SM device)
I've lodged a formal complaint with the ACCC who will doubtless do nothing as usual.

Needed the microscope on high power to see the hole, so I'll remove it and see if it's marked on the other side, but I doubt it.

Be much easier with a schematic.

Last edited: