Freescan: Uniden 996P2 and P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues/lack of understanding in programming P25 phase II through Freescan. I'm trying to program Tennessee Highway Patrol and other groups, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6355

First I'll go over what I did, then everyone can tell me how wrong I messed this all up, lol

I'm starting with "Mobile site Statewide, TN" (link posted). I created a 'System' (in FreeScan), select 'Mot TypeII/P25', then I set the '[M82S]Site'. I copied "773.55625 773.80625 774.05625 774.30625 774.55625 774.80625" (from the link posted via EZ-Grab) and dropped that into the 'Trunked Frequencies'. I then proceeded to edit the 'Groups'. I added info, using EZ-Grab again, from the 'State Highway Patrol: Statewide Talkgroups' (about a third down the page you'll find it). When I copy/paste this information, there are several sections in EZ-Grab to identify the selected materials, Name, Mode, Comment, Frequ..ect. I'm not seeing an option for DEC or HEX codes here, which I thought would be necessary.

I've tried to find guides on using FreeScan, but the few I've found are 100% useless :D My FreeScan is version 2.18, and I am not a paid RR member.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm having issues/lack of understanding in programming P25 phase II through Freescan. I'm trying to program Tennessee Highway Patrol and other groups, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6355

First I'll go over what I did, then everyone can tell me how wrong I messed this all up, lol

I'm starting with "Mobile site Statewide, TN" (link posted). I created a 'System' (in FreeScan), select 'Mot TypeII/P25', then I set the '[M82S]Site'. I copied "773.55625 773.80625 774.05625 774.30625 774.55625 774.80625" (from the link posted via EZ-Grab) and dropped that into the 'Trunked Frequencies'. I then proceeded to edit the 'Groups'. I added info, using EZ-Grab again, from the 'State Highway Patrol: Statewide Talkgroups' (about a third down the page you'll find it). When I copy/paste this information, there are several sections in EZ-Grab to identify the selected materials, Name, Mode, Comment, Frequ..ect. I'm not seeing an option for DEC or HEX codes here, which I thought would be necessary.

I've tried to find guides on using FreeScan, but the few I've found are 100% useless :D My FreeScan is version 2.18, and I am not a paid RR member.
If the only site you entered was the 'statewide mobile site', that's part of the problem. Typically, the mobile sites (sometimes labeled as Site on Wheels, or a similar term) are only active when the mobile site is deployed for a specific incident. It could be an area that has received major damage from a tornado or other storm, maybe a large, uncontained wildfire, or some other situation where either the local systems have been damaged, or can't handle the load if it's a disaster response with units from other areas have responded to assist. Unless that 'something' is going on, the mobile 'site', like a trailer with an extended antenna, is parked at one of the regional offices.

You're better off to pick sites that are close to you and enter them instead. You can leave the 'mobile site' in there, just in case something happens, but add one or more of the sites that are close to you. Once yoo have sites that are active and in range, then you'll be able to determine if there's an issue with your talkgroup IDs. Of course, you could always set the system in ID Search mode instead of ID Scan. That way you'd hear any active talkgroup, unless it is locked out, or in a group that is locked out. For TGIDs that you have programmed, in ID Search mode you would see the text tag you entered. For IDs that are not programmed, the 'text tag' would be simply the talkgroup ID.

While it should not make a difference, program your system and site as "P25 Standard (Digital XT)'. That's one of the choices in FreeSCAN, Was the FreeSCAN guide in the Wiki of no help?
FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki
Also see Freescan Tips - The RadioReference Wiki

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
You want to set it up as a regular P25 trunking system. Moto type 2 /P25 is for type 2 systems not phase 2. Phase 2 is part of the P25 standard and it should be programmed as such.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
P25 trunking system. Moto type 2 /P25 is for type 2 systems not phase 2. Phase 2 is part of the P25 standard and it should be programmed as such.

Awesome, thats what I sort of thought after a lot of reading.

You're better off to pick sites that are close to you and enter them instead. You can leave the 'mobile site' in there, just in case something happens, but add one or more of the sites that are close to you.

I'm planning a road trip, so I only want state wide in the regions I'm passing through...thats why I dont program everything.

Heres my specific issue (pic). I cant set the DEC / HEX codes. I set this site up as P25 Standard btw.

Attachments

• Clipboard020.jpg
    Clipboard020.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 269

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thats what I sort of thought after a lot of reading.

I'm planning a road trip, so I only want state wide in the regions I'm passing through...thats why I dont program everything.

Heres my specific issue (pic). I cant set the DEC / HEX codes. I set this site up as P25 Standard btw.
As I said, that "statewide" mobile site likely will not be active, unless deployed for a specific incident. It would never be up and running in every part of the state at all times. So, you would need to program the sites for the areas you'll be traveling thru. You could group them, under a quick key, to cover a small number of sites within a segment of your trip, so that you were not scanning every site in the state. But the mobile site is not a workable shortcut. The statewide talkgroups would work, but only if the scanner is using an active site that is in range.

I may have overlooked it, but I'm not seeing an option in FreeSCAN to toggle between using Hex or Dec talkgroups in a system. For EDACS, the choice is there for Decimal or AFS, but no Hex option for other system types. The Hex/DEC option is available in ProScan.

I believe the P25 Standard setting was only available on the BCD396XT.
That setting was added after the 396XT came out, but it also works for the 325P2, which is the handheld sibling to the 996P2. That's the way I have my 325 programmed, and it works with no issues.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I haven't opened ProScan in months. Turns out, its not free.....and sorry, but I'm not spending $50 on software. That seems a bit steep imo.

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
2 things........

1) LOTS of reading later, I dont need HEX, thats for GRE scanners...I only need DEC (which I have)

2) I am NOT spending money for a premium subscription to RR for programing issues. No offense RR, I'll give you my money for other reasons...but NOT for this.

Too many people simply dont know how to set these things up. 10 out of 10 scenarios where people need help with this set-up, they are told to "pay $15, and go grab it from RR". I've got the info, the software, and the scanner...I'm gonna make this happen without further $$$

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Okay, that makes more sense. I'll broaden my parameters.

I found that conventional system has HEX/DEC options....weird
As I don't have the 996P2, it may vary from the 325P2. But on the 325, he setting to choose Hex/Dec for talkgroups is under the system option if you were editing the system through the scanner keyboard, instead of via software.

Status
Not open for further replies.