Uniden BC355N

rksprague1

I have a problem that I very much hope someone can help me with!! I am the Safety Officer for our radio controlled (RC) Airplane Club (Binghamton AEROS).

We have a small airfield in Chenago Bridge, New York that is used by both full scale pilots and small RC plane pilots. We communicate with the full scale pilots via a hand held unit - YAESU-FTA-250 and our Uniden BC355N radio. The frequency we use is 122.90 MHz. We need all our RC pilots to be aware of any communication going on with the full scale pilots. This is impossible using only the hand held unit alone. Therefore our need for two external speakers & an amplifier to run them. Not sure what I am doing wrong but I have not been successful searching for any amplifier that I can connect the BC355N to. I would hope that such an amplifier exists????

I need to connect the Uniden BC355N radio to an amplifier that will power two Uniden BC20 external speakers! Any recommendations on what amplifier I could purchase to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much.. Ron

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Presuming you do not have 120v power available, I would buy one of the new Jackery 240 "Solar Generators" that are able to output 120v power and could easily power any good set of amplified computer speakers. The Jackery runs about $220. You can solar power it for another $220 or just plug it into a home 120v outlet to recharge it. It's small (about 8 x 5 x 7) and weighs about 8 lbs. It has 12v, usb and 120v outlets on it.

Amazon sells 120v powered computer speakers that plug into an audio out headphone port for about $15.

Noseybody

I have a rechargeable Bluetooth dongle plugged into my scanner headphone jack, and a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker that is loud and clear. Not sure if that would work for you?

rksprague1

I have a rechargeable Bluetooth dongle plugged into my scanner headphone jack, and a rechargeable Bluetooth speaker that is loud and clear. Not sure if that would work for you?
Thank you very much for your response. This sounds like it might be a good solution but I have a couple questions if you do not mind. I see the dongle runs for under $20 on Amazon. It did not specify how far the speakers can be located from the dongle. Do you know what distance it would safely operate at? Our speakers would be around 50 to 75 feet from the radio. Can you tell me what speakers you are using? Thanks again for your help. Ron

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This looks perfect!

Pyle Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Power Amplifier - 200W Dual Channel Sound Audio Stereo Receiver w/RCA, USB, SD, MIC in, FM Radio, for Home Computer via RCA - PDA29BU.5 $46.57

1674509880093.png
About this item

• 200 WATT POWER: The Pyle Dual Channel Stereo Amplifier is perfect for your karaoke and home theater acoustic sound system. It gives you 200W power w/ 100W RMS, accommodates 2 sets of speakers, allow you to enjoy high quality amplified audio
  • 5 INPUTS: This personal digital amp box supports various external sources. Features 1 RCA audio input for tuner, CD player, tape deck, 2 1/4" microphone IN, USB, SD card slot & Bluetooth/FM radio antenna to improve FM sensitivity & bluetooth distance
  • BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY: The sound amplifying mixer device is equipped w/ Bluetooth wireless music streaming. Works w/ today’s latest devices including smart phones, tablets, iPhone and computer w/ hassle-free receiver pairing
  • EQ CONTROLS: The improved professional compact & powerful mini amp system features crisp, responsive buttons for mode controls & power ON/OFF switch. Equipped with rotary knob controls for microphone volume, bass, treble, and master volume
  • DISPLAY METER: The compact and integrated indoor AV receiver has a built-in digital LED display showing input mode, track and folder name. FM antenna and remote control are also included in the package for distant audio adjustments

rksprague1

Presuming you do not have 120v power available, I would buy one of the new Jackery 240 "Solar Generators" that are able to output 120v power and could easily power any good set of amplified computer speakers. The Jackery runs about $220. You can solar power it for another $220 or just plug it into a home 120v outlet to recharge it. It's small (about 8 x 5 x 7) and weighs about 8 lbs. It has 12v, usb and 120v outlets on it.

Amazon sells 120v powered computer speakers that plug into an audio out headphone port for about $15.
Thanks for your quick response. We do have 120 V outlets for the radio (located in our shed) & speakers (located out at the pavilion). My first preference was to hard wire from the radio, to the amplifier & then to the two outside speakers. Darn, I just realized if I do this then all I would really be looking for an inexpensive stereo amplifier with at least 2 external speaker jacks. I thought I had to purchase an amplifier operating at our airport frequency or 122.9 MHz. Thank you for your help, it is really appreciated!!

Noseybody

Thank you very much for your response. This sounds like it might be a good solution but I have a couple questions if you do not mind. I see the dongle runs for under $20 on Amazon. It did not specify how far the speakers can be located from the dongle. Do you know what distance it would safely operate at? Our speakers would be around 50 to 75 feet from the radio. Can you tell me what speakers you are using? Thanks again for your help. Ron
Watch for how long the charge will last on booth, that it will suite your needs. I am in Canada, not sure is my speaker is available in the US but the name is Anker, IPX 7 waterproof, 12 Watts, 12 hours play time. Very happy with it. I have used it 50 feet no problem in the open. It is a stereo speaker, both left an right in one unit. I am guessing the distance would be determined by the transmitter. The one I have I can not find the specs on it, usually lasts up to 8 hours.