BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Uniden BCD325P2 control channel data output

radiointhesky

I see that the Uniden BCD325P2 has an option to decode and output P25 control channel data as serial data over the USB.

I have a few questions about that:
Will that control data show the PTT-IDs of the transmitting radios?

Will that control data include everything for the entire site?

What about a neighbor site that has a different control channel frequency? Would I need a second scanner to capture that at the same time?

I'm currently using UniTracker with an SDR and it is successfully logging the control data from multiple sites, but I want to look into using a scanner with serial output instead of UniTrunker to capture the control data.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Unitrunker 2.x only works with specific SDR dongles; it will not work with a scanner serial output and/or discriminator tap. Only v1, which is very old and outdated, works with something other than a dongle. You're effectively going backwards. The scanner is not going to decode anything that a dongle won't also capture, so there is really no benefit in doing so, other than experimenting/satisfying curiosity. It's perhaps easier to connect a scanner to a laptop for mobile capture, but aside from that niche usage, no real benefit.

Oh and the scanner would only be able to send data from a single frequency at a time to the software, whereas a dongle can capture roughly 2.4 MHz of spectrum at once to feed to multiple VFO's in Unitrunker.

Stick with the dongle, use the scanner for listening.

radiointhesky

My only goal in this particular project is to write PTT ID numbers to a text file in real time as they transmit, and I only monitor 2 sites (so I would need 2 scanners if not using a dongle). I don't care about the audio at all.

If I stay with using a dongle instead of a scanner, is there any software better than UniTrunker for this?