Uniden BCD436HP Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desertwrx

Here in San Diego I was not picking up SDSO at the end of last year. I was screwing around with the scanner and somehow removed all the settings and it now has nothing to scan in scan mode. I finally set down today to download the latest upgrade. I had done an upgrade about 3 or 4 years ago, so I have done it before with this scanner. I cannot find an upgrade for the BCD436HP listed on the Uniden Download webpage. Am I stuck with a silent scanner now?

Thanks,
Bill in Borrego Springs

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Here in San Diego I was not picking up SDSO at the end of last year. I was screwing around with the scanner and somehow removed all the settings and it now has nothing to scan in scan mode. I finally set down today to download the latest upgrade. I had done an upgrade about 3 or 4 years ago, so I have done it before with this scanner. I cannot find an upgrade for the BCD436HP listed on the Uniden Download webpage. Am I stuck with a silent scanner now?

Thanks,
Bill in Borrego Springs
To expand slightly on what tvengr noted, you would first connect your scanner to your PC with the USB cable it came with.
The Scanner should have already turned on.

Then when you get a prompt on the scanner's display, asking if you want 'Mass Storage Mode' or 'Serial Mode', choose Mass Storage mode by pressing the E (yes) key.
With the scanner connected, and in Mass Storage Mode, then either select Update Firmware from the Update drop-down menu, or click the icon on the row below the Menu header line.

Sentinel will then check for available updates, and you can do them if needed.
The latest update is 1.26.00, which was issued in April of last year.

If you have not done so for a while, I would also suggest updating the database in Sentinel, then writing that to the scanner.

RandomTghts

Thanks,
Bill in Borrego Springs
Did you turn on your database? Sounds like the channels are not loaded or active. Also the Sentinel software has it's perks (biggest being free), But the Arc536pro software has some pretty neat features that save a lot of time to configure on the radio. You can download a trail copy to try for awhile, I find myself playing with both programs as each have little specialties. Make sure the zip was set and then from the menu there is an option that says "Set Scan Selection" hit that go to "Select Lists to monitor" make sure either your Favorite list is "ON" or the "Full Database" is or you will get that error. If you like the " Set it and Forget it" Methods I suggest creating some Favorite List and assigning them Quick Keys to make it easier not to have to toggle through the menu all the time. There are several Videos that make it super easy on youtube if you don't want to read through that Manual....

Let me know if I can help you out at all.

Last edited:

Desertwrx

I must have a different problem. I loaded Sentinal and the scanner scrolls thru like it supposed to do, but it does not lock on any of the frequencies. I have a silent scanning scanner.☹️

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I must have a different problem. I loaded Sentinal and the scanner scrolls thru like it supposed to do, but it does not lock on any of the frequencies. I have a silent scanning scanner.☹
Are you using just location and the full database? Or scanning a Favorites list? If location, verify that the location entered in the scanner is correct.

If using, instead, a Favorites list, post a copy of your file so that someone can take a look and make a recommendation on what needs to be added or changed.

Use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel. If nothing was changed only on the scanner, proceed to the next step.
Click on the drop-down File menu.

Select export the Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file.

Sentinel will ask you to select the list to export, and then you can choose whether to export all of the systems, or select only the ones to include.

Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export function is listed under the File drop-down menu. If you have more than one list, export each Favorites list separately. To attach your list to a post, <right><click> on the *.hpe file and then chose Send
From the menu that pops up next, send it a (compressed) folder. You can attach the zipped file.

Be sure that you do not have the squelch too tight. Setting the squelch to 2 or maybe 3 is usually sufficient.

Also check the service types that are enabled. When the scanner is shipped, and also when Sentinel is first installed, only Dispatch service types for public safety are enabled: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, etc. Also turn on the Tac and Talk service types for them: Law Talk, Fire Tac, EMS Tac, etc.

Desertwrx

Thanks for the suggestions Steve. Tomorrow I will hook my scanner back up to the computer and try this.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.