BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Uniden BCD436HP Very Low Volume No software issue

cr8054

My Uniden BCD436HP Used to have great volume with the built in speaker. Now I can barely hear it in a quiet room. I reset all of my settings which erased all of the frequencies I had programmed into it. I also updated the scanner's firmware via the Sentinel software. Still the audio via the speaker is painfully low. The audio on my headphones is fine. So right now the only place I can use it is in my car where I plug the scanner into the aux port and use my car stereo to listen to my scanner when out railfanning. If I need to spend time outside, I use a Beofeng radio as the speaker is loud and it has a very long battery life. Does anyone know of a fix to this problem other than taking it to a repair shop?

Ubbe

It could be just the speakers contact surfaces, those brass springy things, that needs cleaning up, or a new $10 speaker that are fairly easy to replace yourself. It's the same speaker in a lot of different scanner models. Here's a link to the European distributor but you probably want it to be shipped more local.

SPEAKER 0022 - UBC125XLT/UBC75XLT 24E/0.5W/32MM

/Ubbe

cr8054

Thanks for your reply, I may consider doing it. I am a little nervous about messing with it too much. I fiddled with SD card and the little metal clip that holds the SD card popped completely off. It took vary harrowing hour or so to get things back together. I will NEVER mess with that thing again. I was relieved that after I got the SD card back in and secured, that my scanner fired back up and the few frequencies that I reprogrammed in were still there. It took quite some time to get a windows emulator that would work with my Mac. First I tried WineBottler, but Winebottler only works with 32 bit systems. My Mac runs on Monterey OS which is 64 bit. The 64 bit OS is not backwards compatible. I lost my old Photoshop Elements and a couple of games I liked as their developer did not come up with a 64 bit version of the game.

Ubbe

I fiddled with SD card and the little metal clip that holds the SD card popped completely off. It took vary harrowing hour or so to get things back together.
The exact same thing happened to me. It's a very flimsy and awkward design they have chosen to use, not at all like most mobile phones. It doesn't even holds the SD card in a precise location and can be a little offset that creates intermittent read and write errors. Better not touch that if it works properly.

/Ubbe