BCT15X: BCT15X hum

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I have two 15X's. Both are older models purchased not long after release. Neither have ever had any noticeable hum problems. One is hooked to an amplified Motorola speaker as well but that audio is also hum free.
Thanks for your reply.

RobDLG

I was just curious if anyone has had audio issues with their 15X.

I have a BCT15X I purchased a few months ago from Amazon.com. There is a "pop" from the internal speaker when I power it up, and if I plug in a BC7 external speaker, it pops, too (the internal speaker is, of course, silent in this configuration). In contrast, my BCD996P2 is silent at power-up.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with this unit. Firmware version is 1.07.00.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I have a BCT15X I purchased a few months ago from Amazon.com. There is a "pop" from the internal speaker when I power it up, and if I plug in a BC7 external speaker, it pops, too (the internal speaker is, of course, silent in this configuration). In contrast, my BCD996P2 is silent at power-up.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with this unit. Firmware version is 1.07.00.
Thanks for your reply.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
S/N indicates a 2022 manufacture date, so I'm guessing it has whatever the "revised hardware" is. The reply from @RobDLG may point to new HW being in or affecting the audio chain.
Yep, I vaguely remember that the firmware updates accommodating various models new hardware came out first before the models with new hardware actually went on the market since the firmware did not affect older units adversely.

RobDLG

I should also note that the speaker on my BCT15X is "noisy". It has only one system programmed, type EDACS Standard, and there are lots of clicks and pops from microphones.

I checked the system with a BCD325P2 and a BCD996P2, and the noise doesn't seem as bad on those radios. This may be due to the presence of Automatic Gain Control, which the '325P2 and '996P2 have, but the '15X lacks.