Uniden Easter Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

vma

Hi,

I want to share a disovery I just made. I am not sure if this is common knowledge, sorry if this is old news and I was the only one unaware...

This weekend I bought myself a second hand USC230-E for my collection. I was looking for a hand scanner which could be remote controlled by a PC. This specific model has a hidden function ("easter egg"), published here: Uniden USC230-E Review. Basically you can turn the scanner one while holding "HOLD", "3" and "0". This will boot the scanner in a frequency counter mode!

I was just curious and tried this on my BCT15-X scanner: and indeed it worked here, too!

So my guess is: ANY Uniden scanner with Close Call function probably has this secret frequency scanner mode, too. Try pressing the three mentioned keys, while turning the scanner on and post your results.

How to deactive this mode? Just turn your scanner off. When turning it on again, it will be in Close Call mode (which makes sense, as close call requires a frequency counter to detect active frequencies).

This makes me like my UNIDEN scanners even more. And yes, the frequency scanner isn't bad at all. Error is around 1kHz, at least on my experiments with the Baofeng UV-3R.

Cheers,
vma

My 996t can also go into that function, however I don't understand what it is used for. Can you expound on the purpose of the function and how to use it?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

vma

Hi,

Yep, I wasn't sure about the "new" thing about my discovery. Anyway, I did search the forum before posting (not very sucessfully as it seems) and what I really wanted to share is the fact that it works with *ANY* Uniden scanner with close call.

Anyway, what is a frequency counter used for?

Amongst many *real* applications, you can use it as:

- a "bug" finder, i.e. you can make sure that there are no hidden microphones used to spy on you
- determine the frequency a certain device emits, i.e. a garage door opener (press the button on the remote while holding a frequency counter near and you find out that it probably emits at 433 Mhz)
- verify if your transciever is emitting at the correct frequency: of course you could just tune the receiver to that frequency, but using a frequency counter, you immediatly see the emitting frequency
- etc.

Cheers,
vma

n3617400

Egg (picture) inside of Homepatrol uncrypted firmware v2.04.01.

Attachments

• HPEgg.jpg
    HPEgg.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 2,234

vma

Are you serious??? Lol, what a waste of flash memory!

Cheers,
vma

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
I also tried the key sequence on a Radio Shack Pro-137, which is the analog-only version that looks just like the 396 body. It does work as a frequency counter too.
There really isn't a "HOLD" button. But, the "SCAN" button has two functions, hold and scan. So, you just hold the "SCAN" button, 3+0 on the Pro-137.

I also tried this on an 396t. What wasn't mentioned by the OP, the selector knob chooses the band of interest.

They seem to be broken up into band segments that are selectable by turning the selector knob (0=VHF LOW, 1=AIR, 2=VHF HIGH, 3=UHF, 4=800MHz+). This is from the Pro-137. The 396 labeling is similar, but slightly different.

It seems you must be in the correct search band in order for it to lock on. In other words, my 2m HT on 146.520 MHz would not lock up the correct frequency in the 800MHz+ band. I had to go, strangely enough, to the "AIR" band on the Pro-137.

SquierStrat

well heres some crap! When doing this on my radio shack pro 83, i have 5 bands; Lo, Air, Hi, Uhf, and 800. When using the selector knob on my 396xt, i see i only have 2 bands. "vhf hi2" and "uhf". not even 800mhz.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
well heres some crap! When doing this on my radio shack pro 83, i have 5 bands; Lo, Air, Hi, Uhf, and 800. When using the selector knob on my 396xt, i see i only have 2 bands. "vhf hi2" and "uhf". not even 800mhz.
Strange, I have on my 396XT; VHF Lo1, VHF Lo2, Air, VHF Hi1, VHF Hi2, UHF, and 800MHZ+

Since this seems to be related to Close Call, do you have some bands Locked Out in your CC settings?

_Wilson_

Premium Subscriber
if you have some of the cc bands locked out, that might be where the problem is. it was with my bct15

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
That's cool, I might have to try it with my Uniden scanners.

SCPD

QRT
neat

Tried this with my 996xt,the knob changes the frequency ranges ,dont quite know what the difference is from close call but its still a neat find!Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.