Uniden SDS or Software Defined Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Hey All,

I am currently considering the SDS200 to monitor a new P25 PII system going live soon. I have a Unication G5 already but it doesn't do DMR (yet) and I can't listen to Air Band with it and it would be cool to be able to scan frequencies I can't really monitor with the G5 such as UHF.

I guess what I am wondering is if SDR is a cheaper alternative then a SDS200 I would have to get another used computer I already have a scanner with a discriminator tap. I haven't used it in such a long time I don't recall how to set it all up. I know times have changed with Rasberri PI and SDR dongles so I am just curious what would be the best option and I am looking for Pros/Cons of SDR.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Hello from Minnesota,
I use both, especially when IDing systems. An SDR along with a scanner compliments each other very well. I use a scanner (SDS 200 or 996p2)
and scan through frequencies found through FCC. If I land on something digital, I will then enter into the SDR (Airspy R2 running DSD+, usually) to figure out the details of the system.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Hello from Minnesota,
I use both, especially when IDing systems. An SDR along with a scanner compliments each other very well. I use a scanner (SDS 200 or 996p2)
and scan through frequencies found through FCC. If I land on something digital, I will then enter into the SDR (Airspy R2 running DSD+, usually) to figure out the details of the system.

Thanks for the quick response. With Airspy or DSD can you only monitor one channel?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response. With Airspy or DSD can you only monitor one channel?
If it is just a control channel, you can enter it, and it will start logging right away. The groups and site files will need to be edited as needed.
Conventional objects, you can create a scan list for those also. However, you cannot do trunking or conventional scanning at the same time - the benefits of a real scanner.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Gotchya. I am debating on the SDS200. The g5 is great but you can't really do a free scan like you can on a scanner. How easy is the program to work with? What dongle would you recommend? I may setup several but only have 1 scanner with a tap so I am thinking maybe another dongle would be a good idea.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Depends upon how computer proficient you may be - It does require editing of .bat files. There are examples to follow to help with the setup, but once you program everything, set it and forget it!

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Depends upon how computer proficient you may be - It does require editing of .bat files. There are examples to follow to help with the setup, but once you program everything, set it and forget it!
Do you use a dongle or just a scanner with a tap?

KA1RBI

Tapping the discriminator is fine for regular (non simulcast modulated) P25.

However P25 Phase 2 uses the wrong modulation type (i.e., PSK), not compatible with the disc-tap method...

Max

jason_58201

Just curious as to why you're going with the SDS? Unless you are dealing with simulcast issues, an x36hp will do everything the SDS does at half the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.