Uniden SDS200 Broward P25

TheSpoter

Not sure if this has been answered before but I have basically the entire Broward Sheriff Public Safety system programmed into my SDS200. Routinely I like to hold onto a specific channel just to monitor it for a while. However, while there is a hold, I noticed that it continues to scan Primary Simulcast, Secondary Simulcast and Allegator alley and the transmissions seems to be cut off for like half a second because of that. How do I turn that off so I can listen to the channel without it sounding like it’s scanning. I want to be able to hear the feed without any interruptions. Thank you.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Holding a channel on a trunked system (a talkgroup) does not hold on the site, so as you observed the sites will continue to scan within that system. You would have to do a site hold also. Use function and the middle soft-key to do (or release) a site hold.

TheSpoter

Yeah I'm not sure if I’m explaining it correctly. For instance I’ll monitor Pompano Beach east dispatch and hold onto that specific talk group. The dispatcher will raise a unit and dispatch out a call for service. Once the transmission is over, it seems like it begins to scan in the background because the next transmission would be cut off by like one second and I wouldn’t know what was said.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
You explained it fine and I gave you the corrective action. Your scanner will continue to scan all the sites in the system as you have it programmed looking for that one talkgroup. And by doing this it may cut-off transmissions as it moves through sites.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
#1 Do a site hold so it's only scanning one particular site (Function + Site soft key then quickly use the scroll knob to scroll to what site you want to hold on)
#2 Do a channel hold if you only want to scan one talkgroup
Holding

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
If you do custom systems, this trick has worked for me for awhile, even though I get grief every time I mention it.

I take multiple sites and create a custom system using ALL the control channels from ALL the sites and put them into one system. Put in the talkgroups I want and it scans all of them as one site.

I can only do this for P25 and Moto Type 2 systems. Everything else requries the traditional method.

The pros are less time sitting on a single trunk system with multiple sites, and it cuts out less often. Con is at least on a Type 2 analog systems, you may land on the more distant control channel and the traffic is scratchy.

I've used this trick in Orange, Osceola, Indian River & maybe other counties in Florida, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania; on a SDS100, 436 and 536.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
LOL Your grief is nicer than some.

His issue was the talkgroup seemed to be cutting out as it moved between sites. I've eliminated that issue. And if they're moving between sites, the chances of losing the site they're holding on is gone. Hold the channel and it basically roams.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
There's no benefit to monitoring the -002 secondary site, nor Alligator Alley for that matter. I just moved my 996P2 over to Site 2 for about 5 minutes and it showed no talkgroup activity while looking at SDR Trunk show all kinds of activity on Site 1 in that same period.

Alligator Alley is a fill-in site for Station 108 for the wrecks that occur out there on the fringe of the main system and likely only carries the talkgroups that they use when they affiliate with that site.

So the gaps in your reception occurred when the scanner was on the sites that carry no activity. So if there's a way to permanently lock out those other sites it would solve this and similar problems both while holding on a talkgroup and while scanning generally. It's a simoblast system so anywhere in the developed part of Broward County you should be able to hear it no problem, plus or minus being in an interference zone.