Uniden Software vs Arc996

Status
Not open for further replies.

KARS

Feed Provider
Just got a new BCD996T....looked at the Butel site and the ARC996 software is not available to download and demo, just buy. Before I buy it I'm trying to understand what it offers vs the program I d/l'd from Uniden. What is worth $70 more than what Uniden offers free.
My big concern is I spend a lot of time learning the Uniden software, programming the radio and then have to switch to a new environment.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Al42

The main advantage with the ARC software is the ability to download directly from the RR database to the program files.

The main disadvantage is that the Uniden data files are understandable by a human being almost at first glance. (Well, most of the stuff you want to program anyway.) The ARC files must make some kind of sense, since the computer can use them, but I gace up trying to figure them out.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have used ARC250PRO with my BC796 so I didn't hesitate to buy the ARC996PRO. An advantage for me is the history log. I like to run unattended search and/or scan routines to determine activity on certain frequencies. The ARC996 is excellent for this. I don't think that the Uniden software is even capable of this.

jgodeker

evets-md said:
Just got a new BCD996T....looked at the Butel site and the ARC996 software is not available to download and demo, just buy. Before I buy it I'm trying to understand what it offers vs the program I d/l'd from Uniden. What is worth $70 more than what Uniden offers free.
My big concern is I spend a lot of time learning the Uniden software, programming the radio and then have to switch to a new environment.

evets-md:
I feel your pain......I've had my BCD996T for about three months now and have become very familar with the Uniden software for programming. I'm also trying to weigh the advantages of buying a ARC996, or Butel software.
I'm going to wait awhile until both software packages have been out for awhile, then sit back a read the reviews, and user comments hoping to make a decision in the future. In the short term, I'll continue with the Unidan software.

J.

KARS

Feed Provider
Way to go Butel.....I'll look forward to trying it out.....do the demos have time or feature limitations? I also want to say thanks for posting the pdf instruction manual.....I've learned a lot about the software and what it can do....can't wait to try it out!

Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Uniden's main focus is making the equipment, and software is secondary to that (just the basics kind of thing). Butel's main business is software. (Kinda like I don't go to the best brain surgeon in town if I have a broken leg, even though both are doctors.)

I prefer the Butel software, like others I have theirs for all versions of scanners I have.

One main thing is with Butel, you can have multiple systems open at a time, where you cannot with Uniden. That's really helpful if you wish to program big systems, such as the Indiana Safe-T system or Minnesota ARMER. They have more talkgroups than the scanner will accept, so you have to make a couple of systems to deal with those.

KARS

Feed Provider
I bought the ARC996 software yesterday......sure does make working with the radio easy....now to learn all it's capable of doing!
Thanks to all for ur inputs.

edftc

arc996 software

I have used the "arc" series of software, and enjoy the color display, and the ability to customize the screen. (arc780/arc250) The arc996 has a black/white only display. My volume and squelch, isn't working(the color bar).
My only complaint!
Ed........N0ihb

mrkelso

I have been running ARC996 for several months now on my Dell Inspiron laptop. for the most part it works fine, Every so often i will get the blue screen of death dump for no reason. My laptop has all the latest drivers and fixes applied.

ve1sef

I've had the 996 for 2 years. I used the Uniden software up until February 2009.
I found it had far to many steps to do one simple thing.
So, in February I decided to try the Butel 996 v2 software, what a difference.
The Butel is much easier to navigate. I purchased it and have had no issues.

mrkelso

I've had the 996 for 2 years. I used the Uniden software up until February 2009.
I found it had far to many steps to do one simple thing.
So, in February I decided to try the Butel 996 v2 software, what a difference.
The Butel is much easier to navigate. I purchased it and have had no issues.

I agree it is much better, what computer do you have it on?

oldsarge

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Butel has it's problems. In the past I have recommended some neat changes that would make the software work a lot better for us but was told very bluntly that no changes would be made. In that Butel software is the only one I use for my 996 and 396, I just suck up the bad parts and move on. Support IS outstanding however. I've tried most all the other packages available and found ARC to be the best for the money. Last night I bought ProScan and now I'm sorry I did. I should have just did the demo first. I found ProScan to be rather confusing and difficult to use vs ARC's interface. FreeScan is just that, you get what you pay for. The Best software I've ever used for a scanner was made by GRE and I still use it for an older scanner I have. I'll close by saying that if you can feel comfortable with any package that interfaces well with RadioReference, go for it. It's a MUST that RR be made available and easy to import to your software.

oldsarge

evets-md:
I feel your pain......I've had my BCD996T for about three months now and have become very familar with the Uniden software for programming. I'm also trying to weigh the advantages of buying a ARC996, or Butel software.
I'm going to wait awhile until both software packages have been out for awhile, then sit back a read the reviews, and user comments hoping to make a decision in the future. In the short term, I'll continue with the Unidan software.

J.

Gommert from Butel will probably jump in here, but ARC996 has been out now for at least 18 months and so has ARC 396. I have them both. I found them better to use than Uniden's software. Butel doesn't take suggestions for improvement very well, but their support is outstanding and probably the best in the business. Gommert frequents most all scanner related areas on the Internet and is available to answer questions concerning Butel's software. I think once you start using ARC, you will trash Uniden's software. I also don't think Uniden software interfaces with RadioReference, which is a must.

mrkelso

It got to a point where i was blue screening once a day on ARC996 So what i did was downloaded this freescan software and set i all up and i have had it running and logging for 4 1/2 days now with out a problem. Now i am wondering if the problem is with the ARC996 software and not my laptop.

I love the ARC996 software,i just wish it would act nice.

mrkelso

I have it running on a Dell Inspiron B130 laptop i am thinking maybe i will move it to a desk top machine and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.