Votes: 64 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 42 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSK495

Hello everyone, I created this topic for discussion when the tetra will appear in Uniden SDS100/200.
I would like to get information from the developers Uniden!
Can we expect this update this year? This standard is used not only in Europe, but also in the United States.
Does it make sense to wait for this standard from the company at all Uniden?
Answer follow the company's news, I'm not satisfied.
I would like to have a specific time frame.
The company claims that SDS scanners are based on SDR. But there are no benefits from the HP line.
We will be willing to pay for this update even 150$.

I would like to see in the update decoding TMO/DMO. GSSI,ISSI, MNC,MCC.

Why AOR companies were able? And the company Uniden couldn't?

My opinion is that AOR should be called SDR scanners. And not UNIDEN

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Radio Reference. You are new here just so you understand the DESIGNER of the SDS100 SDS200 scanners for Uniden has been battling Cancer for the last 2 years and Passed Away Saturday Paul Opitz passes away at age 59 after his battle with cancer. We know Paul was working on other things for this line of scanner but neither Paul nor Uniden would ever tip their hand on what they were working on. Enjoy what you have as we know Paul had others working on these Projects.

MSK495

Welcome to Radio Reference. You are new here just so you understand the DESIGNER of the SDS100 SDS200 scanners for Uniden has been battling Cancer for the last 2 years and Passed Away Saturday Paul Opitz passes away at age 59 after his battle with cancer. We know Paul was working on other things for this line of scanner but neither Paul nor Uniden would ever tip their hand on what they were working on. Enjoy what you have as we know Paul had others working on these Projects.
Thank you for the information.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I suspect adding Tetra decoding to the SDS series would not be profitable enough for Uniden to invest the time and resources needed to development it. While there are a few Tetra systems in the U.S. they are a very small percentage compared to the P25, DMR and NXDN systems in use. Many of the Tetra systems in Europe are encrypted (or are illegal to listen to). I just don't see a big enough demand for Uniden to persue adding Tetra.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I suspect adding Tetra decoding to the SDS series would not be profitable enough for Uniden to invest the time and resources needed to development it. While there are a few Tetra systems in the U.S. they are a very small percentage compared to the P25, DMR and NXDN systems in use. Many of the Tetra systems in Europe are encrypted (or are illegal to listen to). I just don't see a big enough demand for Uniden to persue adding Tetra.
But EDACS/ProVoice is worthy of having? -Truth is, that texhnology is going away, and more Tetra is coming. Quite a difference.
Only two Tetra systems in Georgia, they are both power utilities.
The one in SouthWest central Georgia has local public safety on it also, and there are others looking to join as well..

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There aren't enough TETRA systems out there right now to justify the development costs. There's only a few dozen systems nationwide.

There's a lot more ProVoice than that out there, even if it is on the decline.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Chicago's O'Hare Airport will be building out a TETRA system in the near future:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Well, it seems to me that including a robust newer technology that is up and coming would be a benefit, as opposed to concentrating on one that is at / past it's EOL.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's all about market demand. When TETRA becomes widespread enough to justify development costs, it might happen. But right now, that doesn't seem to be the case. There's also the factor of encryption--most TETRA systems are encrypted. There's no point in scanning a system designed to be 100% end-to-end encrypted.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's simple, really. The overwhelming majority of Uniden scanners are sold and used in North America. That is what determines the system types and features. TETRA is a niche system type in North America, whereas ProVoice (EDACS) was fairly widespread, and still is to some degree. I don't know if there are more ProVoice systems today than TETRA in North America, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Licensing costs are also a factor. Or maybe the TETRA folks aren't interested in licensing the technology to scanner manufacturers. Unlike the other scanner brand, Uniden has historically respected licensing requirements and restrictions, which is why they charge for the keys to enable DMR, NXDN, ProVoice, etc.

rumcajs_tr

Regarding TETRA encryption, you would be supprised how many unencrypted TETRA networks are on the air in Europe.
Regarding legality to listen, we do have different laws here in Europe. So it is completely legal to listen to any transmissions, but it is illegal to distribute the content - so opposite to US, streaming scanner audio feeds is illegal for example (except AIR and HAM bands).
So TETRA would be indeed welcome addition, but I agree It won't happen (soon) as the demand is not big in the US and Europe is just a small percentage of Uniden's market.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Well, it seems to me that including a robust newer technology that is up and coming would be a benefit, as opposed to concentrating on one that is at / past it's EOL.

As Jon mentioned, its all about market demand and if Uniden believes they could recoup the R&D/Licensing costs from implementing a new format. When Uniden added a paid ProVoice decoding option to some of their scanner models several years ago, they decided it was worth the development costs. Adding that paid option to other scanner models, including the SDS series, was probably an easy decision as most of the original R&D effort (and cost) had already been done. It was just a matter a porting it to the new model. At some point they may decide to implement a Tetra decoding option but I think that is unlikely given all of the reasons listed in this thread.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
As Jon mentioned, its all about market demand and if Uniden believes they could recoup the R&D/Licensing costs from implementing a new format. When Uniden added a paid ProVoice decoding option to some of their scanner models several years ago, they decided it was worth the development costs. Adding that paid option to other scanner models, including the SDS series, was probably an easy decision as most of the original R&D effort (and cost) had already been done. It was just a matter a porting it to the new model. At some point they may decide to implement a Tetra decoding option but I think that is unlikely given all of the reasons listed in this thread.

This seems like a repeat of what some said about MotoTRBO and NXDN some years back. It will happen, just a matter of time.

Reactions: RRR

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Regarding legality to listen, we do have different laws here in Europe. So it is completely legal to listen to any transmissions, but it is illegal to distribute the content - so opposite to US, streaming scanner audio feeds is illegal for example (except AIR and HAM bands).

For many years it was also illegal in the U.S to divulge radio communications you received (aka intercepted) to anyone else unless you were authorized to do so.

Section 705 of the Communications Act:
No person not being authorized by the sender shall intercept any radio communication and divulge or publish the existence, contents, substance, purport, effect, or meaning of such intercepted communication to any person.

Over the years, this law as been reinterpreted by the courts and legal circles and is now considered unconstitutional in many cases. More history of this interpretation evolution is available at the following site.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've added a poll to this thread which asks if you would be willing to pay for a Tetra upgrade.

The thing to consider is any upgrade would probably cost about the same as the NXDN or DMR upgrades.

For me, the answer is no since I don't have any Tetra systems near me.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I've added a poll to this thread which asks if you would be willing to pay for a Tetra upgrade.

The thing to consider is any upgrade would probably cost about the same as the NXDN or DMR upgrades.

For me, the answer is no since I don't have any Tetra systems near me.

I'd pay for an upgrade now in anticipation of future TETRA systems going on line. Maybe an introductory price like previous paid upgrades would move the needle over.

Status
Not open for further replies.