• No

Votes: 42 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It wouldn't just be the technology but who would be using it. If a Statewide system including PD, FD, & EMS were to use TETRA, there would be much more interest than if a power company covering the same area did. With P25 being the main player for public safety systems and then FirstNet possibilities, I really don't see much promise for TETRA having widespread use in the US (and thus not much demand from US scanner consumers).

chris

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Only two Tetra systems in Georgia, they are both power utilities.

Utilized by Harris County Sheriff/Fire/EMS, Hamilton PD, Pine Mountain PD, and Waverly Hall PD, and Diverse Power. I went to apply for a job at Diverse Power back in April of last year and the VP I interviewed with told me that they were going to build some 85 to 90 more sites just like the ones they are using now now. I assume that they will be selling their TETRA to them like they do the Harris County officials.

dvendt

Utilized by Harris County Sheriff/Fire/EMS, Hamilton PD, Pine Mountain PD, and Waverly Hall PD, and Diverse Power. I went to apply for a job at Diverse Power back in April of last year and the VP I interviewed with told me that they were going to build some 85 to 90 more sites just like the ones they are using now now. I assume that they will be selling their TETRA to them like they do the Harris County officials.
That's still a very small % of the US.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber

Encrypted? No talkgroups in the data base. No one near Harris County has an AOR-DV1?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Not all TETRA systems are encrypted. I have monitored one recently with DSD. However, almost every Motorola P25 sys going in nowadays -is- Enc.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Encrypted? No talkgroups in the data base. No one near Harris County has an AOR-DV1?

I guess no one really cares about these anymore or no one has an AOR-DV1 due to the fact that is no info in here about Harris. Nothing much really happens there any way.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I would like to see and would be willing to pay for MPT-1327 decoding as well
I doubt this will ever come to fruition, probably isn't enough of a demand due to the small amount of systems in service in comparison to DMR/MotoTRBO, NXDN, etc

hamradionl

The world dont stop at the US borders and over the big ocean live is possible :)
In total there are many people in the rest of the world who interest. Example whole area of Europe and UK its heavy using very large Tetra network and uniden is still the leading companys

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Uniden should add this standard, those who do not want to pay let them not pay, who need this standard will pay.There is always a choice.

I wish that's the way it worked but unfortunately, Uniden isn't going to incorporate a new standard if they can't recoup their investment in the time required to add it and any licensing fees they might incur.

JohnWick777

I wish that's the way it worked but unfortunately, Uniden isn't going to incorporate a new standard if they can't recoup their investment in the time required to add it and any licensing fees they might incur.
The investment will pay off. There are many countries in Europe where the tetra is not encrypted.
The vote shows that many want this standard.
As far as I know, the firmware for Uniden is written in Japan.
And in Japan there is a lot of Tetra.
Personally, I am confident that with the addition of this standard , Uniden will reach a new level of sales in Europe.

Ubbe

Tetra have been installed in different countries since 20 years back. But just recently AOR added a crude tetra decoding feature to their scanners, without any kind of intelligence and only as a plain decoder of the datastream.

Japan have another FM broadcast band and other unique things that makes most of their scanner models stay in japan and cannot be exported. That also makes it almost impossible to sell any imported scanners in japan.

Uniden have to calculate how many more scanner they can sell if they include tetra decoding. Would a person who are not interested in DMR and conventional scanning be buying a scanner if it had tetra? Probably not. People who would like to listen to tetra already have scanners as they are interested in scanner monitoring.

The development would be more complicated than any other of the current digital systems that Uniden can decode. If people already have the scanner and only wanted the mode to be added it would be an astronomical cost to buy the key code. Remember that Uniden needs to get a profit so it is not just the labour cost, it is everything around that like bug fixing that never ends and the mark up of the costs to make an actual profit at the end.

The best solution would probably be to take a SDR dongle or two and combine it with a powerful microcontroller, like RaspberryPi, with a touch display and put that into a box with a battery if it needed to be portable. Then there are Linux programs like Telive that can be put on that microcontroller.

/Ubbe

ludek-brno

Uniden is committed to digital scanners but is unable to accept Tetra's worldwide technology ???
Here is something wrong ???
Development goes ahead and Uniden waits 20 years for a blessing ???

Upman is out of the game forever!
SDS100 / 200 is HW capable of Tetra networks

I don't want any SDR plugin or RTL SDR radio on Tetra network !!!
On the field scan total stupidity !!
Off-road and impractical when traveling off-road.
I want a classic handheld or mobile scanner that can handle it with all the details.
What America doesn't want is what the rest of the world wants
The winner will be the one who comes with a full Tetra TMO / DMO.
America has its P25Phase I + II and the rest of the world TETRA

Status
Not open for further replies.