Uniden Website Infected?

A320

Full Disclosure: I am brand new here, so I may be doing something wrong, but I wanted to share this info.

I purchased a BC125AT last month, and on an older Dell with Windows 11, went to the address on p.24 of the manual, downloaded the drivers and software, and everything worked fine.

I just bought a new Dell with Windows 11, went to the same http: address in the manual, and downloaded what I though were the same files.

However, my Norton 360 blocked the downloads as Malware; and when I clicked an address to get the software on another web source, I got that loud tone, and woman's voice telling me my computer was infected, don't turn it off, call Microsoft immediately, etc.

So within a week or so, that Uniden support site has apparently been corrupted?

Any ideas appreciated.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
went to the same http: address in the manual, and downloaded what I though were the same files.
It should be HTTPS://

However, my Norton 360 blocked the downloads as Malware; and when I clicked an address to get the software on another web source, I got that loud tone, and woman's voice telling me my computer was infected, don't turn it off, call Microsoft immediately, etc.
Highly unlikely, false positives aren't unusual.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Assuming you replaced the older Dell with the new Dell? Otherwise I'd say just copy the known good files from the old dell onto a flash drive then transfer them to the new Dell. Welcome to the RR forums

Scan125

With Windows 11 you should not need to download the Windows Serial Driver zip file. Win 11 should recognise your scanner and install a driver.

Regarding downloading from another website then the scare warning and phone MS is a hoax and if a number was provided then don't call it!
Disconnect your PC from your internet connection / router, shut down and restart. Then delete the files you downloaded from "that other site" and then do a Windows Security Scan ( Start -> Settings -> Windows Security -> Virus and Threat Protection - Quick Scan).

When all clear, Shut Down, reconnect internet / router connection and Restart. Do another scan.

It is probably unlikely that you downloaded a bad file AND it got past Windows Defender and/or Norton but if in doubt always do a scan.

BinaryMode

I bet that other website you went to other than the official Uniden website (which you should have gone to for ANY of the scanner downloads) was newly created.

If the site was newly created it could have been blocked with NextDNS. Check them out and use them as an alternative DNS provider other than your ISP's. Others may use AdGuard or OpenDNS or Cloudflare DNS or Quad9, etc.

Dewey

Due to the sense of urgency and instructions to not turn your computer off, I tend to think that you (not Uniden) got hijacked and were redirected. You can verify that by checking the phone number given to "call Microsoft immediately". A lot of those phone calls will end up overseas where the scammer requests access to your computer to fix the problem ... yea, right.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Yes, yes and yes…never call a number that pops up on your pc or phone…however never heard of a voice coming from the computer telling me to call ..thats a new one! I guess I have been lucky.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like one of those fake virus warning sites that ONLY show in your browser. They make a very lousy attempt to fool you. All they are is a full-screen window that can be difficult to see.
I never get them as I have adequate protection. The wife gets them on her Chromebook, where they can do nothing and can be a PITA to close.

Nothing to do with or from Uniden.